Online course design rubrics & processes

Barry Dahl

Jul 27, 2010, 8:54:00 AM7/27/10
to ITCLA10
In relation to our questions around "quality" (whatever that might
mean), post information here about what your college is doing related
to quality concerns of online courses and programs.

At LSC, we took advantage of the sharing offer extended by
MarylandOnline back in 2004 related to version 1 of their FIPSE
project, QualityMatters. At my first ITC eLearning conference in San
Diego, I attended a pre-conference workshop and the Maryland team
offered to share their rubric and process with anyone who was
interested. I was.

We spent the 2004-05 school year revising the rubric to fit our needs
better. There were a few things in the Maryland rubric that either a)
didn't apply in our situation, or b) didn't seem to be "course level"
concerns but rather institution level concerns (such as help desk,
etc.).

We have now had a very successful faculty-driven, peer review process
for online courses. (Faculty-driven does indeed mean that there is no
administrative oversight.)

Our faculty leader maintains a blog about it at: http://blog.lsc.edu/onlinepeerreview/

Here is the page with our rubric for download:
http://blog.lsc.edu/onlinepeerreview/peer-review-rubric/

You'll see other links on the left side of the pages with add'l
information.

Barry Dahl

Jul 27, 2010, 10:56:34 AM7/27/10
to ITCLA10
Additionally, my colleague and I have done several workshops (1/2 day
to 2 full days in length) around the questions of quality in online
learning. Here is a link to the wiki that we use which contains many
links to resources related to quality:

http://innovations-e-education.wetpaint.com/page/Links+Page

Here is the link to the PPT slides that I showed at the Leadership
Academy related to quality (the 3 triangles thing!).

http://www.slideshare.net/barrydahl/elearning-mythbustersquality

Ronda Edwards

Jul 27, 2010, 11:15:38 AM7/27/10
to ITCLA10
In Michigan, the Michigan Community College Virtual Learning
Collaborative (VLC) developed a rubric in 1998 - revised many times -
which has been used by our community colleges in many formats and for
a variety of reasons. The VLC has offered hybrid workshops since the
inception of the rubric that takes the faculty through each criteria
and provides opportunities for faculty enhancements of their course.
A few years ago, we started an inter-institutional peer-review process
using the VLC rubric and you can find more information on our process
at: http://www.mccvlc.org/~staff/content.cfm?ID=214. The rubric can
be found at: http://www.mccvlc.org/~staff/content.cfm?m=108&id=108&startRow=1&mm=0
and is under another revision process this summer.