accreditation question

Paula Ascher

Aug 31, 2010, 12:12:47 PM8/31/10
to itc...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
Could you share a good answer to the following?:

Question:  The institution maintains an effective identity verification process for students enrolled in distance education courses and programs to establish that the student enrolled in the distance education course or program is the same person whose achievements are evaluated and credentialed. The institution ensures the identity verification process for distance education students protects student privacy and that students are informed, in writing at the time of enrollment, of current and projected charges associated with the identity verification process.

Many thanks,
Paula

Fred Lokken

Aug 31, 2010, 1:17:26 PM8/31/10
to itc...@googlegroups.com
This is directly from the Higher Education Opportunities Act and is to be monitored and enforced by regional accreditation agencies.   Given the obvious confusion and false assumptions that can result, clarifying language was also included in the law which I hope answers your question and provides the appropriate response to the question:

Clarifying Language from the HEOA:

The Conferees expect institutions that offer distance education to have security mechanisms in place, such as identification numbers or other pass code information required to be used each time the student participates in class time or coursework online.  As new identification technologies are developed and become more sophisticated, less expensive and more mainstream, the Conferees anticipate that accrediting agencies or associations and institutions will consider their use in the future.  The Conferees do not intend that institutions use or rely on any technology that interferes with the privacy of the student and expect that students' privacy will be protected with whichever method the institutions choose to utilize.

Fred B. Lokken
-Associate Dean for
TMCC WebCollege &
Academic Support Center

Truckee Meadows Community College
SIER 104
7000 Dandini Boulevard
Reno, NV 89512-3999
phone: 775.673.7148
fax: 775.673.7176

email: flo...@tmcc.edu

>>> Paula Ascher <paula...@gmail.com> 8/31/2010 9:12 AM >>>

Paula Ascher

Aug 31, 2010, 1:36:32 PM8/31/10
to itc...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Fred.  This is very helpful!!
Paula

Fred Lokken

Aug 31, 2010, 1:41:10 PM8/31/10
to itc...@googlegroups.com
I actually drafted this - fearing what might happen if we did not have language like this - please let me know if you need any additional information.  I just ended my role as chair of the Instructional Technology Council but remain on their board of directors - we like to be helpful