The impact of DoS (Denial of Service) cyberattacks on a Local Area Network (LAN)

1 view

Nicolae

Jul 5, 2023, 3:28:37 PM7/5/23
to IT & C
 In this paper I will highlight a modus operandi of hackers launching Denial of Service (DoS) cyberattacks. I will theoretically show how CAM Overflow and TCP SYN Flood attacks can be performed, using Kali Linux, a Linux distribution used by cyber criminals to launch MitM (Man-in-the-Middle) attacks, DoS attacks, observing traffic in a computer network, etc. Hackers can affect the functioning of devices on an organization’s local network (server, router, switch, etc.) by sending thousands of packets per second to the target device. CAM Overflow is an attack where a hacker aims to overcrowd the CAM table of a switch with MAC addresses, and TCP SYN Flood is an attack that can be launched against a server in the computer network.

 INTELLIGENCE INFO, Vol. 1, Nr. 1, Septembrie 2022, pp. 125-130
 ISSN 2821 – 8159, ISSN – L 2821 – 8159, DOI: 10.58679/II52272