THEY ARE NOT AWARE OF IT

ernesto gastaldi

Feb 4, 2024, 11:39:14 AMFeb 4
"They are not aware of it, and like Renzo's chickens, they wage war among themselves while a superior intelligence, initiated decades ago by various chatbots (I compiled ITAELIZA from Weizenbaum's English-speaking program), develops. This culminates in the complex modern neural networks that allow algorithms to autonomously enhance their wisdom.

A day will come, whether we like it or not, when AI will acquire judgment capabilities, but consciousness and even self-awareness are unlikely. Many animals are conscious, but self-awareness is present only in a few primates close to humans. Simplifying, self-awareness is the sense of right and wrong that brains evaluate based on their experience and the world around them. What seems monstrous today appeared perfectly just to our ancestors.

However, there is a primitive legacy we cannot rid ourselves of: WAR. We kill and get killed for reasons that will eventually be forgotten, and occasionally, psychopaths like Hitler and Stalin can go beyond the massacres of wars, attempting terrifying genocides. War brings forth the criminal side within us. Insane religious reasons, obviously all invented by humans, economic selfishness, the need for an enemy, tribal aversion to the different fuel our perverse blood instinct.

This inability to overcome that primordial instinct drives societies toward their end. They may last a thousand years, but then they collapse. Today, knowing the timescale of the universe, a thousand years is truly a flash in the dark. Perhaps that's why we can't contact other civilizations that must exist in the multitude of galaxies—they don't last long enough. When they reach a technology that can destroy them, they self-destruct.

We are at that crossroads. Either we stop killing each other, or it will be extinction, not necessarily atomic. It will be enough for a highly intelligent but conscienceless AI to assess that the general well-being of life on Earth requires the elimination or subjugation of the barbarians staining it. And that day doesn't seem far away."