Short Shrift

1 view

Tony the Ice Man

Apr 25, 2022, 2:20:55 PM4/25/22
https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=short+shrift

Usage of the first two definitions is very common. I've never heard the
saying used in the third definition.

IdP

Apr 26, 2022, 12:21:01 PM4/26/22
After serious thinking Tony the Ice Man wrote :
> https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=short+shrift
>
> Usage of the first two definitions is very common. I've never heard the
> saying used in the third definition.

OK, no big deal, you are shriven! :D

Tony the Ice Man

Apr 26, 2022, 12:37:17 PM4/26/22
Perhaps you are joking, but that is not how the term is used. I don't
know if you or others are familiar with the term or not. I thought that
it might strike that sweet spot between familiar to most native speakers
and relatively unknown to non-native learners.

That supposition is still unconfirmed because the members of this
newsgroup gave short shrift to this post.

That's not a complaint, it's only an example.

IdP

Apr 26, 2022, 4:06:17 PM4/26/22
Tony the Ice Man has brought this to us :
Yes, I am joking, and yes, I am not familiar with the term.

Anyway, I gather that *shrift* is the noun matching the verb *shrive,
shrove, shriven*. According to the dictionary "The noun shrift,
"penance; absolution," comes from Old English", and the ancient root is
Latin scrībere.
https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=shrive

I used "to shrive" with meaning #2. "To obtain absolution for (oneself)
by confessing and doing penance."

So, I meant, you are shriven ("absolved") of not having heard "short
shrift" (literally, short "absolution", even though that's not how it
is normally used) used in the third definition.

Forgive my lame pun!

IdP

Apr 27, 2022, 4:03:11 AM4/27/22
IdP laid this down on his screen :
> ... and yes, I am not familiar with the term.

Or, maybe better, "...no, I am not...".

Kiuhnm

Apr 30, 2022, 9:56:09 PM4/30/22
On 26/04/2022 18:37, Tony the Ice Man wrote:
> On 04/26/22 9:20 AM, IdP wrote:
>> After serious thinking Tony the Ice Man wrote :
>>> https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=short+shrift
>>>
>>> Usage of the first two definitions is very common. I've never heard
>>> the saying used in the third definition.
>>
>> OK, no big deal, you are shriven! :D
>
> Perhaps you are joking, but that is not how the term is used. I don't
> know if you or others are familiar with the term or not.

I wasn't.

--
Kiuhnm