linux on cd

Ray Taylor

Feb 16, 2003, 4:31:27 AM2/16/03
Greetings

A local computer magazine recently released a cd that came free with a copy
of the mag and on this cd was a bootable version of linux as an operating
system and it ran off the cd as the idea of testing it without installing
linux. I currently require something along the same idea but dont have the
cd but i do know you can download cds like this off the net. Would anyone
know where ???

thanks

Uncle Theodore

Feb 16, 2003, 5:15:33 AM2/16/03

zinc

Feb 16, 2003, 5:30:39 AM2/16/03

Knoppix does this and is meant to be one of the best bootable cd-linux
distros. You can download the iso here: http://www.knoppix.org

:O)

zinc

Scotty

Feb 16, 2003, 5:40:39 AM2/16/03
Ray Taylor wrote:

You'll find a good one here:

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html#description

I find it a great troubleshooting and recovery tool as well.

--
, ,
("\''/").___..--''"`-._

bye for now :^)
Scotty

Johann Koenig

Feb 16, 2003, 10:13:54 AM2/16/03
google for knoppix

--
-johann koenig

Klaatu

Feb 16, 2003, 10:48:22 AM2/16/03
Ray Taylor wrote:

Dynebolic http://dynebolic.org/ runs from the CD, 121 MB download. But
doesn't have as many drivers as Knoppix
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html a 700 MB d/l. If your
bandwidth is limited you may want to try dynebolic but it may not have
drivers for some hardware. Dyne uses a lighter weight desktop so may also
run faster.

Ray Taylor

Feb 16, 2003, 10:15:21 PM2/16/03
thanks for the replies. they were most helpful.

"Ray Taylor" <the...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

Michael Perry

Feb 16, 2003, 10:53:40 PM2/16/03

You could also check out the lnx-bbc. Its about a 37mb download and fits
on a credit-card sized CD. I've used them for years to recover windows
systems, do hardware discovery, and have used one as a desktop for
primarily mail and websurfing. Its networking and diagnostic tools are
excellent!

Check this one out too! Its a great toolkit.

--
Michael Perry | Do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
mpe...@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org

davekate

Feb 19, 2003, 12:30:26 PM2/19/03
Try this site. Lots of iso images of linux builds.
http://www.linuxiso.org/index.php

dave