Web Server Redirector for server failure tolerance

Jacob

Aug 11, 2002, 9:39:11 PM8/11/02
I would like to have a setup under Linux to automatically receive incoming
web requests from a client and reroute them to another server. (Such as,
client goes to www.mysite.com, Linux system receives request and
automatically routes it to another server.) The problem is I would like to
ping a set of servers periodically (every 30 seconds or so) and if the
preferred destination server goes down, then the system would automatically
begin routing to a different server in a different location. I would also
like to set it up to email certain email addresses when the a destination
server goes down. What tools should I use and how should I go about it?

Thanks,
Jacob

Bernd Eckenfels

Aug 11, 2002, 9:42:31 PM8/11/02
Jacob <yak2016*no_spam*@comcast.net> wrote:
> I would like to have a setup under Linux to automatically receive incoming
> web requests from a client and reroute them to another server. (Such as,
> client goes to www.mysite.com, Linux system receives request and
> automatically routes it to another server.)

You can have a look at apache mod_proxy, at squid in acceleration mode or at
the Linuv Virtual Server Project. The later especially features a Daemon to
check the reacvhability of WEb Servers.

Greetings
Bernd