[GEAR] Gary Moore

BrownSound

Feb 6, 2005, 4:04:33 AM2/6/05
Q. What gear did Gary use on the album track "Still got the Blues"
1990 ? submitted by various people to the site.

A Gibson Les Paul Standard ( circa 1959), a Marshall Guv'nor pedal, a
Marshall JTM45 Re-issue amp, and a Marshall 1960B 4 x12" cabinet loaded
with Electrovoice 12M speakers instead of the usual Celestions.

Of all the various tones that have been heard on Gary's records, the
sounds on the "Still Got The Blues" album are the most asked about by fans
on a regular basis. During 1989 the JTM Reissue series was in the final
stages of development, and Gary received an early production model [#RI 001
1X] at the start of the initial recordings that would become the "Still Got
The Blues" album.
Used in conjunction with a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard, a Marshall
Guv'nor pedal, and a Marshall 1960B 4x12" cab loaded with Electrovoice 12"
speakers, it became the featured tone of the album, heard on nearly all the
tracks including the title track.
Gary: "One of the guys from Metallica goes up to [producer] Bob Rock
and says, 'This is the sound I want,' and plays him 'Oh Pretty Woman' from
"Still Got The Blues". Then they proceed to go through all these pre-amps
and processors to achieve it.
I felt I should write and say, 'That's not how to do it. You've got
the money now guys, go out and buy a '59 Les Paul, a Guv'nor pedal and a
JTM45!"

Q. What strings does Gary use? Submitted by Ken Howe.

Dean Markley LTHB Envrio Electric set, gauges are 10, 13, 17, 30w,
42w, 52w.

Q. And Picks ?? Submitted by Ken Howe.

Extra Heavy ( 1.14 mm ) celluloid shell pick regular 351 shape

Q. Garys tone on Still Got The Blues and After Hours is quite good. I
have been playing a Les Paul for 15 years now. Does he replace the pickups
with active pickups (i.e. Duncans or Diarzio, etc) ? Submitted by Edmund
Miley.

Regarding the pickups in Gary's Les Paul guitars. Both of the 1959 Les
Paul Standards are fitted with original P.A.F. Gibson humbucking pick up's.

Q. I was surpassed that there was no mention of the Soldano's he used
on various tours. Is he still using them? Do you know which distortion
pedal he uses with them? Submitted by Miki Novak

The Soldano amps have not been used since 1993, as various new models
Marshall amps have taken over as Gary's main amps. Recently the DSL 100
Marshall amp has been used exclusively on the last two tours and in the
recording of the current album.

The distortion pedals used with the Soldano's from time to time were
as follows:
Marshall Gv'nor Pedal ( Mk 1), Ibanez TS10 Tubescreamer Pedal, Gary
tended to only use the "clean" channel on the SLO100 with the crunch switch
in, rather than switch channels on the amp. Any further
'crunch/boost/distortion" would be added by one of the above pedals.

Q. What gear was used on the outro solo on the track Surrender off the
new album? Submitted by Pete Martin Gibson Les Paul Standard circa 1959,
Marshall DSL100 Amplifier, Marshall 1960BX 4 x 12" cabinet with Celestion
G12 75T speakers, Amp Settings: Clean Channel, Presence 1, Treble 8, Middle
8.5, Bass 5.3, Gain 5, Volume 8.2, crunch switch in, Deep switch in.

Q. What tubes where in his amp, (JTM 45 Reissue) 6l6, 5881, kt66. Is
it just like the production models they made then ? Submitted by Jim Convry
The two reissue JTM45 amplifiers owned by Gary are both stock models
straight from the factory, with no modifications, Tubes are 5881's.

Q. I want to know which Amp's and Effects you are used between the
Wild Frontiers Tour in April 1987? Submitted by Andy Scholle After a bit of
research this is a list of some of the equipment used on the Wild
Frontiertour: Ibanez TS9 & TS10 Tubescremers Ibanez PC10 Prime Dual Chorus
Pedal Roland SDE300 Delay Roland SRE555 Tape Echo/Reverb 3 x Marshall 1959
Super Lead amp's 1 x Marshall 1992 Super Bass amp 2 x Marshall 1987 Super
lead amp's 4 x Marshall 1960B Cabinets

Q. On the Dark Days In Paradise Tour, You played a black Fender
Stratocaster with a Floyd Rose Vibratosystem. Is it a custom made guitar, or
is it a Fender Floyd Rose Classic Strat as featured in the Fender Magazine?
Submitted by Jesper Rodkjær Pedersen Yes it's Fender Floyd Rose Classic
Stratocaster, stock from the factory.

Q. What kind of equipment is gary using in the concert on video in
which he plays with BB King? I am speciale interested in the the thing which
was on top of his Soldano amp, is it a multi effect FX box?? Submitted by
Maurice DizyFX & amp's used on the Blues Alive video 2 x Gibson Les Paul
Standard circa 1959Fritz Bros Blues master deluxe Telecaster style guitar
with EMG pickup'sMarshall Guvnor (Mark I ) Ibanez TS10 Tubescreamer Ibanez
PC10 Prime Dual Chorus Ibanez Delay III Soldano SLO100 with Marshall 1960 B
4 x 12" cab fitted with EV 12" speakers ( Off stage amp ) Soldano HR50 with
Marshall 1960 B 4 x 12" cab fitted with EV 12" speakers (On stage amp ) 1 x
Marshall 1962 Bluesbreaker Reissue 2 x 12" combo 2 x Alesis Quadraverb
across S/R Sockets on each amp The Soldano SLO100 was only used with the
clean channel and not switched at any time.

Q. Great gig at London on 23/10/99. The 335 sounded brilliant. Were
the Marshall dual superleads used all the time or in combination with the
Fender equipment which I did not recognise? Submitted by Clive Wisbey. One
DSL100 was used for most of the set, the other is a spare, and one Fender
Showman circa 1969/70 was used on the numbers requiring a bigger reverb,
"Need your love so bad" for example. Gary switches between either amp
depending on the song to be played.

Q. Can you tell me which guitars Gary used on his Back to the blues
album.Submitted by Mike Snook
Guitars used on the sessions for BTTB are as follows: Gibson ES 355
1960, Gibson Les Paul Standard 1959 ( ex Peter Green), Fender Stratocaster
1960/1, Fernandes Sustainer LP 1990.

Can you tell me if Gary still uses the Marshall Guv'nor (mark 1). On
the FX page it's not mentioned and since it was a big part of his sound
(especially on his most succesfull selling album/and song). If so/or even
if not, do you know the kind of setting he used. Krystof.
These are the Guv'nor MK1 settings: Gain at 2 o'clock, Bass at 2
o'clock, Full Mid, Treble at 4 o'clock, Level at 1 o'clock

When Gary uses an overdrive pedal (G'vnor, tube screamer,
whatever...), does he do so on a clean channel or does he load the effect
onto an already overdriven channel on his tube amp? Wayne
Currently any overdrive pedal is used on the "clean" channel of the
DSL100/50 as the second channel on the DSL's has plenty of it's own gain.

Did Gary use a Marshall SLX head at any point when he was with Thin
Lizzy ?? Bob
The SLX was first introduced in the early 1990's, so Gary would not
have used one when in Thin Lizzy.
Most of the amps used in Thin Lizzy at that time were either 1959,
1987, 2203 & 2204 model Marshall amps.

clearpixel.gif

angelworm

Feb 6, 2005, 6:04:37 AM2/6/05
BrownSound ha scritto:

> Q. What gear did Gary use on the album track "Still got the Blues"
> 1990 ? submitted by various people to the site.

TROLL !
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

prrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :p

Donato_Grassi

Feb 6, 2005, 6:33:04 AM2/6/05
ho appena preso il DVD gary moore and the midnight blues band live at
monteux.

saro' vecchio, saro' un coglionazzo ma quello e' per il massimo del suono
della chitarra solista distorta.

che tiro ragazzi.

D.

--------------------------------
Inviato via http://arianna.libero.it/usenet/

Donato_Grassi

Feb 6, 2005, 8:38:45 AM2/6/05
Volevo anche aggiungere che in quel video suona due testate Soldano SLO100 e
usa molto la Fernandes LP con il sustainer.

Anche senza Gibson e Marshall...il suono e sempre quello. ;-)

paccala

Feb 6, 2005, 5:59:50 PM2/6/05
"BrownSound" <brown...@brownsownd.it> wrote in message

> Q. What gear did Gary use on the album track "Still got the Blues"
> 1990 ? submitted by various people to the site.
> [...]

La settimana scorsa in un momento tipo "e per calmarlo lo porrai, sotto
l'incudine" mi sono messo a registrarla. Due toni e mezzo sotto perche'
c'ha una voce della madonna... Beh, il risultato fa pena rispetto al
feeling originale, fender o gibson o vamp che siano, quello la mano ce
l'ha :(

mauro