Internet at school

Maggie Bunch

Jun 28, 2011, 10:15:46 PM6/28/11
to IT 465 Google Group 1 Arthur
Do you think that students should be able to use the internet while at
school for projects or school work? Do you think that it is
appropriate? Why or why not?

Donna Busby

Jun 29, 2011, 6:35:13 PM6/29/11
to it-465-google-...@googlegroups.com

I think it is very necessary for students to be able to use the internet while at school.  I think technology is second nature to some teachers and the work they assign has to be completed using internet resources.  However, I feel they don't always take into account not everyone has a computer or internet access at home.  Even though I think all students should have internet access at school, I feel it must also be limited and have blocks placed because there would be students that would go to inappropriate websites.

Maggie Bunch

Jun 30, 2011, 9:24:01 AM6/30/11
to IT 465 Google Group 1 Arthur
I agree with you, Donna, I think that students should be allowed on
the internet in order to complete assignments, but I also think that
students should be limited and monitored while on the internet.
Sometimes students are allowed to get on the internet for no reason,
and I absolutely do not think this should be allowed. In a computer
class, I believe that students should be blocked from all sites except
specific sites needed for that class. Students can waste time, view
sites they shouldn't, and hinder their learning when they are allowed
to view sites that are not appropriate for the class or at school.

On Jun 29, 5:35 pm, Donna Busby <donnabusby3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it is very necessary for students to be able to use the internet
> while at school.  I think technology is second nature to some teachers and
> the work they assign has to be completed using internet resources.  However,
> I feel they don't always take into account not everyone has a computer or
> internet access at home.  Even though I think all students should have
> internet access at school, I feel it must also be limited and have blocks
> placed because there would be students that would go to inappropriate
> websites.
>
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Maggie Bunch <maggiebunch...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Do you think that students should be able to use the internet while at
> > school for projects or school work? Do you think that it is
> > appropriate? Why or why not?- Hide quoted text -

George Arthur

Jun 30, 2011, 12:23:40 PM6/30/11
to IT 465 Google Group 1 Arthur
I agree that students should be allowed to use the internet at school
to complete their projects and work. Many professions in the
workforce require use of the internet to do your job. Because the
internet is such an integral part of our lives, I feel it is important
that we teach our students the proper way to use the internet and the
dangers associated with it. It is important that they know the
difference between a valid reference site and one that may not be a
good choice to use. Google makes it so easy to find whatever you are
looking for but much of the information may be incomplete or just
incorrect. An example is Wikipedia. This is many students first
choice of information; however, many times the information on this
site is incomplete or incorrect because someone has hacked the site.
When I wanted to know something as a kid, I got out the Encyclopedia
Britannica and did my school papers that way. Today, my son gets on
Google and finds multiple references for his school papers in a matter
of minutes. No need to go to the library and search for hours through
a bunch of books and periodicals! A real time saver and he learns so
much more from reading multiple sources and points of view than a
student who only has an encyclopedia at their disposal.

Donna Crawford

Jul 1, 2011, 10:55:15 PM7/1/11
to IT 465 Google Group 1 Arthur
Donna, I agree with you we should have technology in the
class. However, I must say you are right not everyone have internet.
I had satellite internet because that was the only way I could get
internet, and it was a 100 dollars a month. I just got charter DSL
because they just put it in my neighborhood, LOL

On Jun 29, 5:35 pm, Donna Busby <donnabusby3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it is very necessary for students to be able to use the internet
> while at school.  I think technology is second nature to some teachers and
> the work they assign has to be completed using internet resources.  However,
> I feel they don't always take into account not everyone has a computer or
> internet access at home.  Even though I think all students should have
> internet access at school, I feel it must also be limited and have blocks
> placed because there would be students that would go to inappropriate
> websites.
>
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Maggie Bunch <maggiebunch...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Do you think that students should be able to use the internet while at
> > school for projects or school work? Do you think that it is

Donna Crawford

Jul 1, 2011, 10:57:24 PM7/1/11
to IT 465 Google Group 1 Arthur
George, I dont know what I would have done without google when I was
helping my kids with their projects

Donna Crawford

Jul 1, 2011, 11:01:23 PM7/1/11
to IT 465 Google Group 1 Arthur
Maggie Most schools have software that will monitor the students and
staff. Everything you type on school computers are monitor.