Solar panel charging

Patsy McMillan

Mar 25, 2012, 3:18:13 PM3/25/12
to ISUZU-RODEO MOTORHOMES USER GROUP
Hi everyone
We are going to add a bit to the front of our hay shed so we can park
the camper in out of the frosts. We need to extend the front a bit
which wont be a problem but hubby wants to know if he roofs it with
something like clear suntuf (or similar) will the solar panel still
charge????
cheers Patsy

av8trix

Mar 25, 2012, 10:07:12 PM3/25/12
to isuzu-rodeo-moto...@googlegroups.com
HI Patsy

I cant help you with that one, but I am interested in installing a solar panel myself.
Do you have any advise?
What size do you have, who installed it etc.

Maybe other members can share their alternative power solutions.
If they would that would be great.

Pauline

Goldie Davidson

Mar 25, 2012, 11:25:54 PM3/25/12
to isuzu-rodeo-moto...@googlegroups.com
Cannot help you either Patsy, save to say I understand any light should give you a trickle charge when in your shed.  The Rodeo will love it.
Like Pauline I intend to install a solar panel when I get my van out of storage. The solar panels seem the only way to go. We still need someone to workout the most suitable panel systems. Any ideas on that one Patsy.
Sandy and I have been in Asia all summer. Be back in our vans for the winter . We expect plenty of NZ sun to charge our new solar system when we get it installed.

Sent from my iPad.    Goldie

Patsy McMillan

Mar 26, 2012, 2:08:01 AM3/26/12
to ISUZU-RODEO MOTORHOMES USER GROUP

Hi guys
thanks for the replies. We installed an 80watt solar panel done by
our local electrician who also did our EWOF. he was a member of the
NZMCA and on their list for doing electrical warrants. Ivor worked
out how many "watt' hours etc etc i dont have a clue what its about
but it seems its enough to keep our lights the TV etc all running for
umpteen hours which is ample enough. Our fridge works off the truck
battery so we do NOT run it on 12volt. at all we use gas if we are
freedom camping.
I guess it all depends on what your will be running from the panel
what size you need. we charge the phones and the tablet and the
laptop as well of course :o)
If I hear of anyone wanting a camper Sue i will put them your way
sorry to hear you are selling

cheers
Patsy

Neil Doak

Mar 26, 2012, 2:42:08 AM3/26/12
to isuzu-rodeo-moto...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great Patsy at 80 watts should recharge your battery from a
fairly flat state in good time. I have been looking at doing something
similar soon. I would love to see some pics showing the mounting
hardware and the control panels etc
--
Neil L Doak
NZMCA 39332

are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that
any use, (dissemination, forwarding, or dealing with printing, or
copying of) this e-mail and file attachments is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, You must destroy the original
transmission and its contents.
Before opening this email or any attachment, please check them for viruses.
I am not responsible for: (i) any changes made to this email or any
attachment after they are sent; (ii) any viruses in this email or any
attachment; or (iii) any effects this email or any attachments have on
your network or computer system.

av8trix

Mar 26, 2012, 3:37:59 AM3/26/12
to isuzu-rodeo-moto...@googlegroups.com
I second that....some pictures would be great.

Pauline

Patsy McMillan

Mar 26, 2012, 3:59:20 AM3/26/12
to ISUZU-RODEO MOTORHOMES USER GROUP

Ok will see what I can do. As far as I know all the fittings came with
the panel and the electrician just put it on and wired it up. Only
took him maybe an hour.
Will try and get up and take a pic or two tomorrow

cheers

rgv...@xtra.co.nz

Mar 26, 2012, 4:04:47 PM3/26/12
to isuzu-rodeo-moto...@googlegroups.com
We have our camper under roof and the part where the solarpanel is situated
the roof part is with clear roofing material and it charges perfect. Cheers
Rob

Patsy McMillan

Mar 26, 2012, 4:32:53 PM3/26/12
to ISUZU-RODEO MOTORHOMES USER GROUP

YES!! thanks Rob thats what hubby wanted to know he will now extend
the roof of the shed so camper all under cover for those Canterbury
frosts!!! lol

Umm also how to I attach the pics the others wanted to see I cant find
an 'attach file' option anywhere????

cheers
Patsy

Patsy McMillan

Mar 26, 2012, 4:56:50 PM3/26/12
to ISUZU-RODEO MOTORHOMES USER GROUP

Have put the photos up on the Isuzu facebook page
cheers

Neil Doak