istSOS performance?

maurice Libes

Jan 19, 2021, 9:56:06 AM1/19/21
to istSOS
hello istSOS community

I am new with the utilisation of istSOS, and I must say that the software corresponds exactly
 to my expectations in terms of time series management

However I have inserted a rather long time serie in istSOS database  (20mn of insertion)
1 year of data temperature sampled each 2minutes

and I encounter a major problem  in terms of performance when I try to display the data in the data viewer

As soon as I select more than one month, the application is no longer able to display the data

have you encoutered such limitations and what are the possible workaround
to manage long time series in istSOS

for instance,  are there some  Tips and Tricks to improve Postgres Performance ?
or a certain tuning of apache or istSOS

I dont' know where to look to improve the display of data

thanks for your help

Maurice

Massimiliano Cannata

Jan 25, 2021, 11:20:13 AM1/25/21
to ist...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maurice,
glad to know your using with positive feedbacks istSOS.
Relating to visualization of large datasets, we know istSOS has some limitations, mainly related to data conversion and front-end plotting.

To enhance, higher performances I suggest you to use specific visualizers, or use the istSOS python-api library named oatlib (https://pypi.org/project/oatlib/) that can be used to consume and push data using python.

Hope this helps,
Maxi

Massimiliano Cannata

Responsabile settore Geomatica

Istituto scienze della Terra

Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio

Tel. +41 (0)58 666 62 14

Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09

massimilia...@supsi.ch

www.supsi.ch/ist

--
This message has been checked by SUPSI mail-scanner and is believed to be clean.

Milan Antonovic

Jan 26, 2021, 4:14:15 AM1/26/21
to istSOS
Hi Maurice,
In fact the viewer is not intended to display a large amount of data.
But (there is a trick) using the "data editor" instead of the "data viewer" can help with your problem.
We found that there are some issues loading data on the grid.
In the editor the grid is hidden, so the chart loads quicklier.

Give it a try..

Otherwise, like Maxi answered, the best solution is to use some more specific external tools for data analysis that can interact with istSOS (like oatlib).

Best regards

Milan

maurice Libes

Feb 3, 2021, 5:12:55 AM2/3/21
to istSOS
thanks to your answer massimiliano

We will try python-api library named oatlib to see if it improves the data display

but in fact we have found a workaround which works, which is to use your aggregation system
of course if we ask for a hourly or daily average it diminish the quantity of data, and the display do not block anymore

of course we do not have the entire raw data but this is an acceptable workaround

concerning your answers :
i)  what do you want to say by "use specific visualizers," ? which are they ??

ii) can you tell me more about the istSOS python-api library named oatlib
how to use it ?

thanks for the thread

Maurice

maurice Libes

Feb 3, 2021, 5:18:33 AM2/3/21
to istSOS
thanks Milan I will give a glance at your proposal in the data editor
(nevertheless as I told to massimiliano, using the aggregation with hourly ir daily average, gives also a good workaround performance)

concerning  oatlib I have none experience

is it a well known solution? if you have some documentation or experience return on how to use it.. I take

Massimiliano Cannata

Feb 3, 2021, 5:36:12 AM2/3/21
to ist...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maurice,
here is a link to helpful material on OATlib...

enjoy
Maxi

--
Massimiliano Cannata

Responsabile settore Geomatica

Istituto scienze della Terra

Campus Mendrisio, Via Francesco Catenazzi 23

CH – 6850 Mendrisio

Edward Lewis

Feb 23, 2021, 3:50:35 PM2/23/21
to istSOS
See https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282156770_Implementation_and_Evaluation_of_Four_Interoperable_Open_Standards_for_the_Internet_of_Things comparison of OGC PUCK over Bluetooth, TinySOS, SOS over CoAP, and OGC SensorThings API. Figures 11 - 14