STS interpretable - call for participation

Interpretable STS Semeval Task

Jul 20, 2015, 11:27:37 AM7/20/15
to ists-s...@googlegroups.com
[Apologies for duplication]

Call for Participation SEMEVAL 2016 Task 2 -- Interpretable Semantic Textual Similarity

Semantic textual similarity (STS) has received an increasing amount of attention in recent years, culminating with the Semeval/*SEM tasks organized in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015, bringing together more than 60 participating teams. Please check http://ixa2.si.ehu.es/stswiki/ for details on previous tasks.

Given two sentences of text, s1 and s2, the systems participating in STS compute how similar s1 and s2 are, returning a similarity score. Although the score is useful for many tasks, it does not allow to know which parts of the sentences are equivalent in meaning (or very close in meaning) and which not.

The 2015 STS task offered a pilot subtask on interpretable STS. With the pilot task we wanted to explore whether STS systems are able to explain WHY they think the two sentences are related / unrelated, adding an explanatory layer to the similarity score. For 2016, the pilot subtask has been updated into a standalone task, for which we plan to provide new training and evaluation sets.

Important dates:

Trial data ready: June 30, 2015
Training data ready: August 30, 2015
Test data ready: December 15, 2015
Evaluation start: January 10, 2015
Evaluation end: January 31, 2015
Paper submission due: February 28, 2016 [TBC]
Paper reviews due: March 31, 2016 [TBC]
Camera ready due: April 30, 2016 [TBC]
SemEval workshop: Summer 2016

Organizers:

Eneko Agirre, Aitor Gonzalez-Agirre, Iñigo Lopez-Gazpio, Montse Maritxalar, German Rigau and Larraitz Uria.