Bhaktivedanta Archives: The VedaBase & Windows 8

Pratyatosa

Oct 6, 2013, 12:04:02 AM10/6/13
to Jayadvaita Swami, Eddy Gaasbeek, Paul Tombleson, Daniel Perlmutter
Dear Bhaktivedanta Archives Prabhus, Hare Krishna! Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

Help!

How do we get the VedaBase to work on Windows 8 computers?
None of the techniques that we used to get it to work on Windows 7 seem to work for Windows 8! :-(

Your servant, Pratyatosa Dasa

Madhuha Dasa

Oct 6, 2013, 12:05:17 AM10/6/13
Dear Pratyatosa Prabhu,

Hare Krishna.  Please accept my obeisances.  All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

I asked the same question to Ekanatha Prabhu and below is his answer.  We followed his directions in his email below, and now the same folio works fine on our new Lenovo laptop with Windows 8.

Your friend and servant
madhuha dasa

Jul 23, 2013, 1:36:09 PM7/23/13
to Madhuha Dasa, istag...@googlegroups.com, Jayadvaita Swami, Eddy Gaasbeek, Paul Tombleson, Daniel Perlmutter, in...@prabhupadanugas.eu, s...@harekrsna.com, edi...@dandavats.com, Chakra Correspondence, Jitarati Dasa, ameyatma das, Sean Carolan, David Lugan, urdh...@aol.com, Paul Howard, harry agtsp, Madhudvisa dasa
Dear Madhuha Prabhu, Hare Krishna! Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

It worked! Thank you very much! "Ask and you shall receive." :-)

However, the special Sanskrit diacritic fonts didn't get installed. Therefore, here are a few additional steps which should solve that problem also:

8. Download: <http://causelessmercy.com/fonts/FontsFromVedaBase2003.zip>.

9. In your download folder, right click on FontsFromVedaBase2003.zip and click "7-Zip/Extract to 'FontsFromVedaBase2003\'."

10. Delete "FontsFromVedaBase2003.zip."

11. Navigate to the "FontsFromVedaBase2003" folder.

12. Select all of the (.ttf) files and right click on them selecting "Install."

13. Navigate to the "C:\Bhaktivedanta VedaBase 2003\Nfo" folder and double click on the "Bhaktivedanta Vedabase 2003.nfo" file icon.

14. Click "Tools/Options...."

15. Change the "Infobase view font" from "BellCentennial" to "ScaHelvetica" and click "OK."

All of the Sanskrit diacritics should now display correctly.

By the way, Windows 8 doesn't seem quite as stable as 7, but all of the things which really, really annoyed me about 7 have been fixed. I like it! :-)

Your friend and servant, Pratyatosa Dasa

Nitya-Trpta

Jul 23, 2013, 12:36:02 PM7/23/13
to istag...@googlegroups.com, ameyatma das, Chakra Correspondence, Daniel Perlmutter, David Lugan, Eddy Gaasbeek, harry agtsp, Jitarati Dasa, Madhudvisa dasa, Paul Howard, Paul Tombleson, Sean Carolan, s...@harekrsna.com, edi...@dandavats.com, urdh...@aol.com, in...@prabhupadanugas.eu
Dandavats,
Jai Srila Prabhupada!

Thank you Madhuha Prabhu for passing this on. Ekanatha has been very busy lately.

Your Servant
Nitya-Trpta d.d.

On Jul 23, 2013, at 11:51 AM, Madhuha Dasa <madhu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Pratyatosa Prabhu,
>
> Hare Krishna. Please accept my obeisances. All glories to Srila
> Prabhupada.
>
> I asked the same question to Ekanatha Prabhu and below is his answer. We
> followed his directions in his email below, and now the same folio works
> fine on our new Lenovo laptop with Windows 8.
>
> Your friend and servant
> madhuha dasa

Pratyatosa

Jul 24, 2013, 7:20:18 AM7/24/13
to istag...@googlegroups.com, ameyatma das, Chakra Correspondence, Daniel Perlmutter, David Lugan, Eddy Gaasbeek, harry agtsp, Jitarati Dasa, Madhudvisa dasa, Paul Howard, Paul Tombleson, Sean Carolan, s...@harekrsna.com, edi...@dandavats.com, urdh...@aol.com, in...@prabhupadanugas.eu
Even though it's been there for 3 years, I just now discovered it:

http://kickass.to/bhaktivedanta-vedabase-2003-prabhupada-teachings-complete-iso-t3837841.html

It's a torrent download of the exact image of the VedaBase 2003 CD in the form of an ISO file. "The most important torrent in the world," the description proudly proclaims. :-)

But don't bother downloading ImgBurn and burning it onto a CD. Use a free program called Virtual Clone Drive to create a virtual CD drive instead. After installing Virtual Clone Drive, simply right click on the ISO file and select "Mount (Virtual CloneDrive E:)."

Ys, Ptd

Pratyatosa

Jul 24, 2013, 7:32:18 PM7/24/13
to istag...@googlegroups.com, ameyatma das, Chakra Correspondence, Daniel Perlmutter, David Lugan, Eddy Gaasbeek, harry agtsp, Jitarati Dasa, Madhudvisa dasa, Paul Howard, Paul Tombleson, Sean Carolan, s...@harekrsna.com, edi...@dandavats.com, urdh...@aol.com, in...@prabhupadanugas.eu
I just now discovered that Virtual CloneDrive is not needed with Windows 8. The function is built-in. Simply right click on the ISO file, and select "Mount." A virtual CD will then be created as the next available drive letter after drive C. (Usually D or E.)

If you have already installed Virtual CloneDrive and then uninstalled it, Windows 8's equivalent feature will have been disabled. To re-enable it, follow the simple procedure outlined on <http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/12394-how-to-re-enable-iso-mounting-in-windows-8-file-explorer>.

Ys, Ptd

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 7:20 AM, Pratyatosa <praty...@gmail.com> wrote:
Even though it's been there for 3 years, I just now discovered it:

http://kickass.to/bhaktivedanta-vedabase-2003-prabhupada-teachings-complete-iso-t3837841.html

It's a torrent download of the exact image of the VedaBase 2003 CD in the form of an ISO file. "The most important torrent in the world," the description proudly proclaims. :-)

But don't bother downloading ImgBurn and burning it onto a CD. Use a free program called Virtual CloneDrive to create a virtual CD drive instead. After installing Virtual CloneDrive, simply right click on the ISO file and select "Mount (Virtual CloneDrive E:)."

Ys, Ptd

Pratyatosa

Aug 3, 2013, 12:19:47 PM8/3/13
to Madhuha Dasa, istag...@googlegroups.com, Jayadvaita Swami, Eddy Gaasbeek, Paul Tombleson, Daniel Perlmutter, in...@prabhupadanugas.eu, s...@harekrsna.com, edi...@dandavats.com, Chakra Correspondence, Jitarati Dasa, ameyatma das, Sean Carolan, David Lugan, urdh...@aol.com, Paul Howard, harry agtsp, Madhudvisa dasa
If the VedaBase 2003 CD-ROM or virtual CD-ROM is, for example, drive D, then steps 8 through 11 below could be replaced by:

Navigate to "D:\FONTS."

Ys, Ptd

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Pratyatosa <praty...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Madhuha Prabhu, Hare Krishna! Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

It worked! Thank you very much! "Ask and you shall receive." :-)

However, the special Sanskrit diacritic fonts didn't get installed. Therefore, here are a few additional steps which should solve that problem also:

8. Download: <http://causelessmercy.com/fonts/FontsFromVedaBase2003.zip>

Pratyatosa

Mar 21, 2014, 10:09:15 PM3/21/14
to istag...@googlegroups.com, Madhuha Dasa, Jayadvaita Swami, Eddy Gaasbeek, Paul Tombleson, Daniel Perlmutter, in...@prabhupadanugas.eu, s...@harekrsna.com, edi...@dandavats.com, Chakra Correspondence, Jitarati Dasa, ameyatma das, Sean Carolan, David Lugan, urdh...@aol.com, Paul Howard, harry agtsp, Madhudvisa dasa, Dr. Edith Best (Urmila Devi Dasi), Michael Best
As it turns out, 6 fonts were missing from the <http://causelessmercy.com/fonts/FontsFromVedaBase2003.zip> file. This problem has now been fixed, so please download it again in order to get all of the VedaBase 2003 fonts.

Ys, Ptd

Pratyatosa

Mar 29, 2014, 4:06:51 PM3/29/14
Since the "BellCentennial" font is now included in Causelessmercy.com's downloadable fonts, steps 14 and 15 are no longer necessary.

Here are the revised instructions for installing VedaBase 2003 under Windows 8:

1. After the installation hangs or freezes, reboot your PC.

2. Right click on the 'Views' icon in C:\Bhaktivedanta VedaBase 2003\. (Views.exe)

3. Click on "Properties."

4. Click on the "Compatibility" tab.

5. Check the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"

6. And then choose "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)."

7. Click on "Apply" and then click "OK."

Brentji Painter

Mar 26, 2015, 7:15:52 AM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com, Jayadvai...@pamho.net, eka...@gmail.com, p...@prabhupada.com, dperl...@gmail.com
'Ha'ri'boal!

         PAMHO! AGTSP! Please note that computers, no matter how great and powerful they may be, still cannot read the Vedabase. As It is the only way possible is if the Vedabase is edited phonetically for reading by American English text-to-speech engines, such as the Lernout & Hauspie TrueVoice SAPI4 Engine and opensource Espeak. There is a Sanskrit text-to-speech website but it doesn't read English. And there's no text-to-speech for Bengali even on Google translate. Deskbot uses the
Lernout & Hauspie TrueVoice SAPI4 Engine and Microsoft Agents, one of which is a Parrot (Peedy). I've suggested to the people at the Sanskrit text-to-speech website that they make it available as an opensource downloadable program and that the source code is (of course) also downloadable. Then it would be possible to combine an opensource English text-to-speech engine with the Sanskrit text-to-speech engine. Bengali could also be added if there were an opensource Bengali engine available. Thus there would be one engine that could read Sanskrit, Bengali, diacritics and English, thus being able to read the Vedabase, provided that the Vedabase is readable of course. I've tried copying and pasting the Sanskrit and diacritic text of the Vedabase and it comes out like this:
p NaMaae >aGavTae vaSaudevaYa
JaNMaaÛSYa YaTaae_NvYaaidTarTaêaQaeRZvi>aj" Svra$(
 TaeNae b]ø ôda Ya Aaidk-vYae MauùiNTa YaTSaUrYa" )
TaeJaaevairMa*da& YaQaa iviNaMaYaae Ya}a i}aSaGaaeR_Ma*za (Sanskrit)

oà namo bhagavate väsudeväya
janmädy asya yato 'nvayäd itarataç cärtheñv abhijïaù svaräö
tene brahma hådä ya ädi-kavaye muhyanti yat sürayaù
tejo-väri-mådäà yathä vinimayo yatra tri-sargo 'måñä
dhämnä svena sadä nirasta-kuhakaà satyaà paraà dhémahi (diacritics)

om—O my Lord; namaù—offering my obeisances; bhagavate—unto the Personality of Godhead; väsudeväya—unto Väsudeva (the son of Vasudeva), or Lord Çré Kåñëa, the primeval Lord; janma-ädi—creation, sustenance and destruction; asya—of the manifested universes; yataù—from whom; anvayät—directly; itarataù—indirectly; ca—and; artheñu—purposes; abhijïaù—fully cognizant; sva-räö—fully independent; tene—imparted; brahma—the Vedic knowledge; hådä—consciousness of the heart; yaù—one who; ädi-kavaye—unto the original created being; muhyanti—are illusioned; yat—about whom; sürayaù—great sages and demigods; tejaù—fire; väri—water; mådäm—earth; yathä—as much as; vinimayaù—action and reaction; yatra—whereupon; tri-sargaù—three modes of creation, creative faculties; amåñä—almost factual; dhämnä—along with all transcendental paraphernalia; svena—self-sufficiently; sadä—always; nirasta—negation by absence; kuhakam—illusion; satyam—truth; param—absolute; dhémahi—I do meditate upon.

        Not exactly readable. It only pastes the English correctly. My computer reads that as gibberish, except for the English! Not Good! So, I had the inspiration to try phonetics (how the words sound) ie. Bhakta is said correctly when edited as 'B'huck'ta (huck as in Huckleberry). American English! That's an example. I've done some editing but am overwhelmed at the amount of editing required. So I've done a few of the main mantras/'mon'tra's. Srila Prabhupada's pranam mantra, the Pancha tattva mantra and a few others. I can do it with and diacritic text, including Maori. But that is an aweful lot of work. Too much. So, what to do? The only immediate option is the Vedabase without diacritics which vedabase.net says is readable. But it's not. Not for computers, nor for anyone. So, there is nothing adequate available at this time, sorry to say, except to say that computers (using Deskbot and/or Espeak, which can both be installed on any computer platform, as can the Vedabase;) can chant the Mahamantra (at least) as: - 'Ha-'rey 'Krish'na 'Ha-'rey 'Krish'na , 'Krish'na 'Krish'na 'Ha-'rey 'Ha-'rey - 'Ha-'rey 'Raa'ma 'Ha-'rey 'Raa'ma , 'Raa'ma 'Raa'ma 'Ha-'rey 'Ha-'rey -

           From my personal homepage @ http://vrajakijai.orgfree.com

Seems like there's a heck of a lot of collaboration required to make it possible for computers to read the entire Vedabase, involving the BBT and the Bhaktivedanta Archives (and devotees and potential devotees) and programmers, Apple Corporation, Microsoft, the OpenSource community, etc. There is certainly more to this than just me and my insignificant efforts to get computers reading the Vedabase. There are certainly a lot of computer users, including governments and their military. That's a lot of computers. And none of them are capable of reading the Vedabase (at this time). So, it's entirely open as to where it goes from here. I'm very open to feedback. It was just suggested to make a request on the GitHub website, but I don't know how to use the GitHub website. If anyone does please let me know. Perhaps I or someone else (maybe someone at the Archives) could make a request to the GitHub community.That's one idea. Editing the Vedabase phonetically is another idea (of mine). I will be keeping an eye on the progress of both Sanskrit and Bengali text-to-speech technology. Unfortunately the MSAgent voices are not OpenSource so that rules out using MSAgents (on any platform) to read the Vedabase unless it's edited phonetically. So, where to from here? Don't know. Waiting for that to be revealed. One more thing. A Hare is a type of rabbit. It would be better if Hare had a diacritic dash above the "e" as in Cafe. Then people would now better how to pronounce Hare correctly. Of course it can also be done phonetically as above in the Mahamantra but if Hare had the diacritic dash above the "e" then there could also be Hare Krsna Cafe's with the diacritic dash above the "e" in Hare and Cafe and the diacritic dots under the "r" "s" and "n" in Krsna. Something else to consider. Serious stuff! Public opinion does matter! People expect to be well informed these days, and they deserve to be well informed about the correct pronunciation of Hare Krsna! Putting the diacritic dash above the "e" makes it easier for people especially as everyone is already aware of the proper pronunciation of the word Cafe. Enough said. Time for bed. All glories to the assemble devotees! 'Jai'ya 'Neat'eye 'Gau'run'ga! 'Ha-'rey 'Krish'na!

Your servant's servant,
Bhaktavatsala Das ('B'huck'ta Brentji)

PS: I'm on Facebook @ https://facebook.com/vrajiva =>:-)

Bhakta Robin

Mar 26, 2015, 7:18:54 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
Haribol,
please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

No need for torrent.
Hamsadutta Prabhu is giving away Vedabase 2003 for free on his website:

Ys
Bhakta Robin

Am Samstag, 29. März 2014 20:41:47 UTC+1 schrieb Pratyatosa:
Since the "BellCentennial" font is now included in Causelessmercy.com's downloadable fonts, steps 14 and 15 are no longer necessary.

Here are the revised instructions for installing VedaBase 2003 under Windows 8:

1. After the installation hangs or freezes, reboot your PC.

2. Right click on the 'Views' icon in C:\Bhaktivedanta VedaBase 2003\. (Views.exe)

3. Click on "Properties."

4. Click on the "Compatibility" tab.

5. Check the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"

6. And then choose "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)."

7. Click on "Apply" and then click "OK."

Brentji Painter

Mar 26, 2015, 7:40:21 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com, Jayadvai...@pamho.net, eka...@gmail.com, p...@prabhupada.com, dperl...@gmail.com
'Ha'ri'boal!

          PAMHO! AGTSP! As for Bengali and Sanskrit text-to-speech there is:

Sanskrit @ 1) http://enjoylearningsanskrit.com/sanskrit-text-to-speech/
                  2) http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-642-17528-2_3#page-1/
                  3) http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Software-for-Sanskrit-speech-synthesis/articleshow/1014159671.cms?

Bengali @ 1) http://katha-bangla-text-to-speech1.software.informer.com/download/
                 2) http://www.academia.edu/2955759/Bangla_Text_to_Speech_using_Festival/
                 3) http://cdac.in/index.aspx?id=mc_st_TTS_Bangla/

Note: None of which can read the Vedabase!

Your servants servant,

Bhaktavatsala Das ('B'huck'ta Brentji)

Pratyatosa

Mar 26, 2015, 7:43:37 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
Dear Bhaktavatsala Prabhu, Hare Krishna! Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

To convert VedaBase diacritics to Unicode, one document at a time, you could use: <http://pratyatosa.com/?P=3w>.

For a free software download that converts multiple documents in one fell swoop: <http://pratyatosa.com/?P=4r>.

Your servant, Pratyatosa Dasa <http://groups.google.com/group/istagosthi>, <http://causelessmercy.com/>, <http://rtvik.com/>, <http://pratyatosa.com/>, <http://hkitm.com/>, <http://feedacow.com/>, <http://llbest.com/>

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Brentji Painter <vra...@gmail.com> wrote:
'Ha'ri'boal!

'B'huck'ta

Mar 26, 2015, 8:23:25 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
Dear 'P'rut'ya'to'sa 'p'rab'hoo,

            PAMHO! AGTSP! What do you mean by "All files downloaded from the VedaBase?" What files downloaded by the Vedabase? Couldn't figure out your instructions sorry to say. And even if the the diacritics are pasted correctly, what's the use? Computers cannot read diacritics!

Yours in eternal service,

On 27/03/2015 12:42 p.m., Pratyatosa wrote:
Dear Bhaktavatsala Prabhu, Hare Krishna! Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

To convert VedaBase diacritics to Unicode, one document at a time, you could use: <http://pratyatosa.com/?P=3w>. Tried that! Just came up with "No changes made"!

For a free software download that converts multiple documents in one fell swoop: <http://pratyatosa.com/?P=4r>. dhåtaräñöra uväca
dharma-kñetre kuru-kñetre
samavetä yuyutsavaù
mämakäù päëòaväç caiva
kim akurvata saïjaya
On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Brentji Painter <vra...@gmail.com> wrote:
'Ha'ri'boal!

          PAMHO! AGTSP! As for Bengali and Sanskrit text-to-speech there is:

Sanskrit @ 1) http://enjoylearningsanskrit.com/sanskrit-text-to-speech/
                  2) http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-642-17528-2_3#page-1/
                  3) http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Software-for-Sanskrit-speech-synthesis/articleshow/1014159671.cms?

Bengali @ 1) http://katha-bangla-text-to-speech1.software.informer.com/download/
                 2) http://www.academia.edu/2955759/Bangla_Text_to_Speech_using_Festival/
                 3) http://cdac.in/index.aspx?id=mc_st_TTS_Bangla/

Note: None of which can read the Vedabase!

Your servants servant,
Bhaktavatsala Das ('B'huck'ta Brentji)

Pratyatosa

Mar 26, 2015, 8:29:19 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
Exactly where do I say, "All files downloaded from the VedaBase?" That doesn't even make sense!

My computers don't have any trouble "reading diacritics." What kind of computer are you using?

Ys, Ptd

Pratyatosa

Mar 26, 2015, 8:36:54 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
I found where I said that. It was a mistake. I changed it to "All files extracted from the VedaBase" just now. Thank you for pointing out the error.

Ys, Ptd

tim lee

Mar 26, 2015, 9:54:45 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
Where is the exact link where the vedabase can be downloaded, and does it work without the key? ys pd

'B'huck'ta

Mar 26, 2015, 9:54:46 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
Dear Prabhu,

            PAMHO! AGTSP! Please excuse my stupidity but what files extracted from the Vedabase? How does one extract files from the Vedabase?

Sincerely,

Bhaktavatsala Das ('B'huck'ta Brentji)

'B'huck'ta

Mar 26, 2015, 9:54:45 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
'Ha'ri'boal!

            Prabhu, how do you get your computer reading diacritics? With what program? Glad to be off service...

Yours in eternal service ,

On 27/03/2015 1:36 p.m., Pratyatosa wrote:

'B'huck'ta

Mar 26, 2015, 9:54:46 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
'Ha'ri'boal!

            PAMHO! AGTSP! Seems the computer can read the unicode diacritics using Deskbot (except for the ṛṣṇ which it reads as letters)! Ha! Here's the output from the _VedabaseTextForTesting.txt file:
“Hare Kṛṣṇa” — Śrila Prabhupāda

Ñ ñ Ā ā Ī ī Ś ś Ū ū Ḍ ḍ Ḥ ḥ Ḷ ḷ Ṁ ṁ Ṅ ṅ Ṇ ṇ Ṛ ṛ Ṝ ṝ Ṣ ṣ Ṭ ṭ l̐

Śrila Prabhupāda’s “Bhagavad-gītā As It Is”

Yours in eternal service,
Bhaktavatsala Das (aka 'B'huck'ta Brentji)

On 27/03/2015 1:36 p.m., Pratyatosa wrote:

Pratyatosa

Mar 26, 2015, 10:00:02 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
The step-by-step instructions on <http://pratyatosa.com/?P=3w&TP=3889> tells you how to do it. Maybe "extract" is not the right terminology. I'll change it again, this time using the VedaBase software's own terminology: "export."

Ys, Ptd

'B'huck'ta

Mar 26, 2015, 10:10:57 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
'Ha'ri'boal!

            'Don'da'vutts! AGTSP! Can get via my homepage. It's a torrent file: http://vrajakijai.orgfree.com/misc/Vedabase.torrent - It has only one peer but it will download!

Your humble servant,

On 27/03/2015 2:45 p.m., 'tim lee' via Prabhupadanuga wrote:
Where is the exact link where the vedabase can be downloaded, and does it work without the key? ys pd

Pratyatosa

Mar 26, 2015, 10:18:09 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
Notepad, Notepad 2, Wordpad, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, etc. can all handle diacritics with no problems, but with Notepad 2, you must first switch the encoding to, for example, "UTF-8 with signature."

Ys, Ptd

'B'huck'ta

Mar 26, 2015, 10:18:09 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
'Ha'ri'boal!

            PAMHO! AGTSP! Prabhu, when I try to extract to a wrapped .txt file it comes up with an error, saying "Error exporting file... ToFit 'Text' filter entry not found in registry" Can that be fixed?

Humble regards,

Bhaktavatsala Das ('B'huck'ta Brentji)

Pratyatosa

Mar 26, 2015, 10:21:17 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
Are you running the VedaBase from a CD-ROM? If so, it might be trying to save the file to the CD-ROM, which is not possible.

'B'huck'ta

Mar 26, 2015, 10:28:39 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
Dear Prabhu,

            PAMHO! AGTSP! No, I'm trying to export to the hard drive. It's exporting okay to .rtf but not wrapped .txt. It's asking for a registry entry which is not there. I don't know how to fix the registry so that the error no longer occurs.

Humble regards,
Bhaktavatsala Das ('B'huck'ta Brentji)

Pratyatosa

Mar 26, 2015, 10:33:44 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
I don't know. I've always exported to RTF files exclusively. I used a free program called CCleaner to correct 82 problems with my registry just now. You might want to try that.

Ys, Ptd

'B'huck'ta

Mar 26, 2015, 11:03:04 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
'Ha'ri'boal!

            The downloaded iso file will need to be mounted as a virtual drive to install the Vedabase. For Windows: http://www.ltr-data.se/files/ - Download imdiskinst.exe

Your humble servant,

Bhaktavatsala Das ('B'huck'ta Brentji)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Prabhupadanuga" group.

Pratyatosa

Mar 26, 2015, 11:25:21 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
The ability to mount an ISO file is built-in to Windows 8.

'B'huck'ta

Mar 26, 2015, 11:26:03 PM3/26/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
'Ha'ri'boal!

            PAMHO! AGTSP! Prabhu, I just now entered some diacritic text from the Vedabase into your webpage and converted it to unicode. It displayed correctly but still the computer cannot still read the diacritics! It comes out as gibberish!

Sincerely,

Bhaktavatsala Das ('B'huck'ta Brentji)

'B'huck'ta

Mar 27, 2015, 12:48:26 AM3/27/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
'Ha'ri'boal!

            PAMHO! AGTSP! Sorry to say but computers still cannot read diacritics, even in unicode!

Sincerely,

Bhaktavatsala Das ('B'huck'ta Brentji)

Bhakta Robin

Mar 27, 2015, 7:50:36 AM3/27/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com, ange...@yahoo.com
Hari Bol,
pamho AGTSP
The Link is:

Ys
Bhakta Robin

'B'huck'ta

Mar 27, 2015, 8:08:26 AM3/27/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com

Dear 'P'rut'ya'to'sa 'p'rab'hoo,

            PAMHO! AGTSP! Howz 'bout sharing with the world (and me) how your computer is able to read the Vedabase diacritics! That would be very much appreciated!

Sincerely,
'B'huck'ta'vutt'sa'la ' Das'ji  ('B'huck'ta Brentji) ;-)

On 27/03/2015 12:42 p.m., Pratyatosa wrote:

> Dear Bhaktavatsala Prabhu, Hare Krishna! Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!
>

> To convert VedaBase diacritics to Unicode, one document at a time, you could use: <http://pratyatosa.com/?P=3w>. Tried that! Just came up with "No changes made"!
>
> For a free software download that converts multiple documents in one fell swoop: <http://pratyatosa.com/?P=4r>. dhåtaräñöra uväca
> dharma-kñetre kuru-kñetre
> samavetä yuyutsavaù
> mämakäù päëòaväç caiva
> kim akurvata saïjaya

Dear Bhaktavatsala Prabhu, Hare Krishna! Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

To convert VedaBase diacritics to Unicode, one document at a time, you could use: <http://pratyatosa.com/?P=3w>.

For a free software download that converts multiple documents in one fell swoop: <http://pratyatosa.com/?P=4r>.

Your servant, Pratyatosa Dasa <http://groups.google.com/group/istagosthi>, <http://causelessmercy.com/>, <http://rtvik.com/>, <http://pratyatosa.com/>, <http://hkitm.com/>, <http://feedacow.com/>, <http://llbest.com/>

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Brentji Painter <vra...@gmail.com> wrote:
'Ha'ri'boal!

          PAMHO! AGTSP! As for Bengali and Sanskrit text-to-speech there is:

Sanskrit @ 1) http://enjoylearningsanskrit.com/sanskrit-text-to-speech/
                  2) http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-642-17528-2_3#page-1/
                  3) http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Software-for-Sanskrit-speech-synthesis/articleshow/1014159671.cms?

Bengali @ 1) http://katha-bangla-text-to-speech1.software.informer.com/download/
                 2) http://www.academia.edu/2955759/Bangla_Text_to_Speech_using_Festival/
                 3) http://cdac.in/index.aspx?id=mc_st_TTS_Bangla/

Note: None of which can read the Vedabase!

Your servants servant,
Bhaktavatsala Das ('B'huck'ta Brentji)

Pratyatosa

Mar 27, 2015, 8:16:14 AM3/27/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
I asked you what kind of computer you had, and you simply ignored me.

If you go to Walmart and buy the cheapest Windows 8 computer that they have (I've seen them there for as little as US$199.), it's built-in Notepad and Wordpad programs will be able to handle any Unicode characters that you can throw at them, including Sanskrit diacritics characters. But if you copy/paste directly from the VedaBase, you will get garbage.

Ys, Ptd

'B'huck'ta

Mar 28, 2015, 12:31:46 AM3/28/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com

Dear Prabhu,

     I'm using Windows and Linux but also know how to use a Macintosh system as well. I've found that on on both Windows and Linux so long as the Balaram font is installed as well as the Vedabase  then when diacritic text is copied and pasted into a word processor program, and the Balaram font is selected in the word processor program, then the diacritics show as they should. Problem solved! Probably if an email is sent with diacritic text it might not display properly unless the recipient has the Balaram font. So, does Unicode make it unnecessary to have the required font? If so is there any Unicode font that is available on at least most platforms that would display the diacritics properly? That's one issue. The other issue is with regards to text-to-speech technology. Thus far there is no text-to-speech technology that can read Sanskrit, Bengali, Roman diacritics as well as English. So, out of sheer frustration I've discovered that American English text-to-speech software can speak the diacritic texts when edited phonetically. It works very well. But there's a heck of a lot of diacritics to edit! Too much for little old me. And, I'm not (at least at this stage) a programmer. I'm an editor. So, it's open as to who and what will do either the editing of the entire Vedabase phonetically for reading by American English text-to-speech software and/or do the programming for the multilanguage text-to-speech software necessary for reading the Vedabase. If you have/do managed to get your computer reading the Vedabase please let everyone (and me) know. Especially users of the Vedabase. That would be very much welcome and appreciated. Time will tell. Wishing well always...

Kind regards,

'B'huck'ta'vutt'sa'la 'Das'ji  ('B'huck'ta Brentji) ;-)

'B'huck'ta

Mar 28, 2015, 12:36:21 AM3/28/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
'Ha'ri'boal!

            https://translate.google.co.in/#en/bn/%27Huh%27ray%20%27Krishna! - Still no Sanskrit or Bengali TTS for any platform!

'B'huck'ta

Mar 28, 2015, 12:36:50 AM3/28/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
'Ha'ri'boal!

        PAMHO! AGTSP! Actually, the Hindi Google translation service can speak Sanskrit! But not from the Vedabase! This is Sanskrit copied and pasted from the Vedabase:
Da*Taraí\ ovac
DaMaR+ae}ae ku-å+ae}ae SaMaveTaa YauYauTSav" )
MaaMak-a" Paa<@vaêEv ik-Maku-vRTa SaÅYa )) 1 )) - It cannot read that (similarly nor Bengali from the Vedabase)!

Pratyatosa

Mar 28, 2015, 3:13:17 AM3/28/15
to istag...@googlegroups.com
Please see "2010 Update: 15 Sanskrit Diacritic Unicode Fonts from Microsoft" on <http://pratyatosa.com/?P=41&TP=8190> for a list of the fonts that come with Windows that display the Unicode Sanskrit diacritic characters correctly. Out of those 15 fonts, Tahoma is probably the one which is most universally available on other platforms.

Ys, Ptd

Brentji Painter