Invitation to Reflect on CoARA Initiative and Share Feedback

giovanni abramo

May 21, 2024, 1:05:04 PMMay 21
to ISSI listserv

Dear ISSI Members,

As many of you know, the Coalition for Advancing Research Assessment (CoARA), primarily composed of research institutions and funders, was established in 2022. Its mission is to reform research assessment, emphasizing a shift towards qualitative judgment.

As an evaluative bibliometrician and President of ISSI, I felt compelled to express my thoughts on this initiative through a scientific article, which I am pleased to share with you:

https://academic.oup.com/rev/advance-article/doi/10.1093/reseval/rvae021/7670652?utm_source=authortollfreelink&utm_campaign=rev&utm_medium=email&guestAccessKey=3175df3d-4609-459b-8c83-24f59950fa88

The article critically examines the CoARA initiative using theoretical frameworks, empirical evidence, and logical arguments. It also raises important questions for our epistemic community. I believe we must all reflect on why there is such widespread concern about the drawbacks of evaluative scientometrics and consider what actions we should take to prevent common misunderstandings. Additionally, we should explore how we can more effectively offer insights to policymakers and decision-makers tasked with defining research evaluation exercises.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback and ideas on these issues that could be discussed in the next ISSI board meetings.

Thank you for your attention,

Giovanni Abramo

Prof. Giovanni Abramo

School of Technological Sciences and Innovation

Universitas Mercatorum

Piazza Mattei, 10

00186 Roma - Italy

Mob. +39 339 4508461