Display remote X window on iPad

todd

Apr 29, 2011, 1:10:12 PM4/29/11
to iSSH/iX11
I want to run a program on a remote Ubuntu box via iSSH. I can
connect and I have a totally working terminal on my iPad. When I type
the name of the program in the terminal, the program launches on the
target but it's window is not displayed on my iPad. There is no error
message like, "can't find display". If I do this with a normal Linux
host instead of the iPad, I would make the ssh connection like this:
ssh -Y me@box. What I'm seeing on my iPad with iSSH is like not using
the -Y, (or -X), when starting the ssh session.

I have "Use X Server" = on.

I'd sure appreciate any help!

ktobiska

May 3, 2011, 7:23:23 PM5/3/11
to iSSH/iX11
I have a similar problem with using remote IDL on a Xserve box via
iSSH. I think I am getting the export DISPLAY to the proper IP window
but no plots in the xterm space.

will follow your reponses for suggestions

thanks,
Kent

Michael Martin

May 5, 2011, 5:52:29 PM5/5/11
to is...@googlegroups.com

Can't speak to IDL, never used it, but I iSSH into our Xserve and open an X window there frequently. Two things to be aware of:

1) The default on OSX is to turn X11 forwarding off. This means one must either enable it (I recommend this for it will make life easier all around, and not just for iSSH), or one must set up the display variable. There are some standard Unix ways/scripts out there to facilitate this at login. You might want to hunt them down if you cannot enable X11 forwarding.

2) Make sure that the X server is on.

On May 3, 2011, at 6:23 PM, ktobiska wrote:

> I have a similar problem with using remote IDL on a Xserve box via
> iSSH. I think I am getting the export DISPLAY to the proper IP window
> but no plots in the xterm space.

Michael Martin
ArsAstr...@gmail.com

Todd Sampson

May 5, 2011, 8:58:35 PM5/5/11
to is...@googlegroups.com
My problem was operator error. When you connect to a server and have a prompt, you type the application name. The terminal accepts the command and the app is launched on the remote host but nothing is displayed. To find the X window, you have to click on the X in the upper right hand corner of the window. When the next window appears, click on the X in the same location of that window. Then the X window should be displayed.

Todd Sampson