URL Scheme Support

Kevin C. Krinke

May 18, 2011, 8:58:16 PM5/18/11
to iSSH/iX11
Hello,

I'm an app developer and I'd like to support iSSH specifically within
my current project. Currently iSSH supports the URL Scheme "ssh://
username:password@hostname:port", which is great... except that other
apps on the market also support the "ssh://" URL and there's no way to
allow the end-user to select specifically iSSH.

The feature I'm requesting here is to simply add a few lines of code
to the iSSH AppDelegate method responsible for handling the URL scheme
to also support a secondary prefix: "issh://".

On top of that request, I'd like to add one more item... support for a
VNC URL Scheme that works in much the same way as the SSH URL (being a
temporary connection) except the URL is slightly different (VNC
doesn't have the concept of usernames)...

isshvnc://hostname:port?password=XXX
vnc://hostname:port?password=XXX

Additional key=value pairs could also be implemented for any VNC
specific features but the basics are all that are really required.

Thank you for your consideration.

Regards,
Kevin

PS: iSSH will be featured from within my app as part of the "supported
3rd party clients", complete with link to the AppStore. No kickbacks
or monetary gains are being sought by my client, we just want to
provide the user base with the best possible experience.

Dean Beeler

Sep 11, 2012, 12:12:18 AM9/11/12
to is...@googlegroups.com
Consider this implemented as you've described here for 5.4.0. issh:// for ssh connections and issh-vnc:// and issh-rdp:// respectively.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention again.

Dean

On Monday, September 10, 2012 4:28:30 PM UTC-7, Michael Kerley wrote:
> I'm in a similar situation and would like to make this request as well.  It's very easy for any other app to hijack the "ssh://" and "telnet://" schemes.  And uninstalling the other app doesn't give control back to iSSH; it just leaves the system in a sort of limbo where SSH links don't open.  That's a bigger problem that Apple should solve, but I digress...
>

> For my project, I'd like to see schemes to launch SSH and Telnet connections via iSSH.  Perhaps with "issh://" and "issh-telnet://" schemes?
>

> As with Kevin's app, I'll be listing iSSH in a "supported apps" area with a link to iSSH in the app store if it's not already installed.  But right now I can't reliably detect if iSSH is installed (since any other app registering the "ssh://" scheme gives a false positive), so you might be missing out on some store traffic until you add unique schemes.
>

> Thanks
> Mike
>
> On Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:58:16 PM UTC-7, Kevin C. Krinke wrote:Hello,

Michael Kerley

Sep 11, 2012, 12:27:23 AM9/11/12
to is...@googlegroups.com
Awesome - thank you very much!  Will there be issh-telnet:// as well?

Thanks
Mike

Wes Campaigne

Dec 22, 2012, 12:47:18 AM12/22/12
to is...@googlegroups.com
A few comments/requests about the URL schemes:

1) Would it be possible to check for the special case of just "issh://", with no address? This would make it possible to simply open iSSH. Currently when you do this, iSSH opens, but with an address-not-found error message, since it blindly tries to connect to the empty address.

2) As it stands, using the URL scheme to initiate connections is somewhat limited -- there doesn't seem to be a way to connect using key authentication, or to establish tunnels. Ideally, what I'd like would be the ability to use the issh URL handler to request it connect to a saved configuration, using the configuration's name (and possibly the folder it's organized under).

Thanks!
Wes