Fwd: Advocacy Alert! Tiger Mt, Reiter Foothills, and Duthie Hill Bike Park

Kent Peterson

Jan 7, 2011, 10:57:25 AM1/7/11
to issaquah-bicycle-club
Just got this from Evergreen.

Kent "Mountain Turtle" Peterson
Issaquah WA USA

http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kent Peterson <kent...@fastmail.fm>
Date: Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 7:55 AM
Subject: FW: Advocacy Alert! Tiger Mt, Reiter Foothills, and Duthie Hill Bike Park
To: kent...@gmail.com

Dear Kent Peterson, Subscribe me!

Kent Peterson has forwarded this email to you with the following message:
Please Note: You have NOT been added to any email lists. If you no longer wish to receive these messages, please contact kent...@fastmail.fm.

Evergreen LogoLogo 2
Dear Kent,

Governor Gregoire has proposed a budget that eliminates funding for the Washington Wildlife and Recreation Program (WWRP) grant program and instead directs $20 million to a completely new program (PSWRP) primarily focused on Puget Sound clean-up projects.  If that happens a community-involved and transparent grant scoring process will be circumvented and three projects important to the mountain biking community will go unfunded:

  1. Tiger Mountain bridges and trails that would connect Preston Trail to NW Timber Trail and allow a single track experience from the top of East Tiger Mountain all the way to the parking lot.
  2. Reiter Foothills Trail Development Phase 1 which would construct a critical trail bridge and non-motorized trails for bikers, hikers, and equestrians.
  3. Duthie Hill Mountain Bike Park trailhead construction which would create 75 additional parking spaces and other facilities at the south end of the property.  With hundreds of users on a busy weekend this bike park currently has parking for 15 cars.

We have never had projects this important to the mountain bike community score this highly before and loss of these funds will hurt for many years.  Note that the money for these community projects comes from the state's capital budget, not the operating budget, and so does not compete with funding for teachers and human services.

Your Action is Critical!

You can help in any of four ways:

  1. Request a meeting with your legislators to emphasize the importance of WWRP.  If you would like, I can attend a face-to-face meeting with you or provide help with talking points.
  2. Call your legislators and the governor and ask that WWRP be funded.
  3. If you only have a few minutes you can still have an impact; please email your legislators and the governor.  A sample email is at the bottom of this page.
  4. Need to keep it really simple?  Call the Legislative Hotline at (800) 562-6000 from M-F, 8AM-4:30PM.  The staffer will forward your comment to the appropriate legislator.

You can easily identify your legislators and find their contact information here: Find your legislator.

For information or to discuss additional ways you can help please call or email me.

Glenn Glover

Executive Director

Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance

(206) 524-2900

Sample Email, You Must Include Your Contact Information

RE: WWRP grant funding

Dear LEGISLATOR,

I am writing to ask you to help protect the quality of life in my district by including $30 million funding in the 2011 capital budget for the Washington Wildlife and Recreation Program (WWRP). This capital budget program helps local communities like ours create new parks and protect wildlife habitat for future generations.

WWRP grants are funded by issuing dedicated capital bonds, not current tax revenue, so cutting funding will not reduce the general fund budget problem. In fact projects funded by WWRP support the state economy in four important ways:
  1. Active Outdoor Recreation Generates $11.7 billion in revenues annually to Washington's economy and supports 115,000 jobs (OIA 9/06). According to the Census Bureau each year over 2.7 million people participate in hunting, fishing, and wildlife watching in Washington, contributing $2.8 billion to the economy. Development Creates Jobs.
  2. Over 40% of WWRP projects are development projects that create local jobs while preserving the essence of Washington State that we all hold dear.
  3. Return on Investment (ROI). The state's $618 million investment in WWRP to date has leveraged $425 million in local and private matching funds, plus more from the many federal programs that require a state match.
  4. Access to Outdoor Recreation is indispensable to the health and welfare of our families and essential in combating childhood obesity and reducing health care costs.
Governor Gregoire's 2011-13 capital budget proposal would eliminate funding for WWRP and direct capital funds instead to a newly created Puget Sound Wildlife and Recreation Program. This is no substitute for the well respected, twenty year old, and community evaluated WWRP program, one which has the potential to benefit all residents of our state not just those within the Puget Sound area.

Sincerely,

YOUR NAME
ADDRESS
CITY, STATE, ZIP