Question for members

Jim W7JNP

Sep 8, 2021, 6:31:13 PM9/8/21
to Issaquah Amateur Radio Club
Does anyone have a vehicle license plate with your Call Sign?
If yes, is the cost $40 extra every year or just $40 extra the 1st year?
WA DOT and local license place could not answer that for me as it was not listed on their documents. They both promised to find out but..... no answers back in weeks.
Thanks
Jim
W7JNP

Joe Stacy

Sep 8, 2021, 6:36:53 PM9/8/21
to Issaquah Amateur Radio Club
It's an annual fee (a friend has one and confirms)

Sep 8, 2021, 6:53:26 PM9/8/21
to w7j...@gmail.com, issaqu...@googlegroups.com
Jim,
  I have had my WE7X plates for 25+ years.  The only annual charge is the regular registration fee, as anyone would pay.
 The  $40 is the "Plate Charge", and it seems to be assessed about every 10 years, when they want to renew the plates for the reason of 'reflectorization'.  Apparently they feel the reflective qualities go away and they want to be sure it is adequate, and collect a few more dollars.
  In my case, I still have a couple of extra brand new plates that I have not been installed.  If I get the front one bent up, I will have a nice spare to replace it with.

Rod Johnson

Sep 8, 2021, 7:10:10 PM9/8/21
to w7j...@gmail.com, issaqu...@googlegroups.com
I must have worded my question poorly to my friend 🙂

Sep 8, 2021, 7:17:19 PM9/8/21
to Joe Stacy, issaqu...@googlegroups.com
All personalized plates are yearly "extra" fees, somehow HAM licenses were not covered in documentation.
Thanks

Bob Stephens AF9W

Sep 8, 2021, 7:20:32 PM9/8/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com, Joe Stacy, issaqu...@googlegroups.com
Amateur plates are $40 for the plate with no annual fee. You can order them directly from WA DOL. As Rod said, every few years they make you buy a new plate. They also contact you if your license is ready to expire. Had my plates since 1992.

From: Jim Potter <w7j...@gmail.com>
Date: 9/8/21 4:17 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: Joe Stacy <joe_...@hotmail.com>

Jim Potter

Sep 8, 2021, 7:36:38 PM9/8/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks All. Appreciate the confirmation.
W7JNP

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Issaquah Amateur Radio Club" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/issaquah-arc/CO1PR08MB7095EBF146969EB23CD93685A6D49%40CO1PR08MB7095.namprd08.prod.outlook.com.

Rod Johnson

Sep 8, 2021, 7:47:30 PM9/8/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com, Joe Stacy
Just be sure you apply for an Amateur Radio plate, and not for a Vanity or Personalized plate.
   When I tried to transfer my plate from the Ford Ranger to the Astro Van, the license clerk spent 20+ minutes on the computer trying to figure out why the system would not process the request.
  Then she and her supervisor huddled and punched the keyboard for quite a while longer before it dawned on them it was a 'HAM Plate' .
   That solved the problem.
  Amateur Radio plates seem to be a special category, that many clerks have apparently never had to deal with, so be sure to stipulate it is an Amateur Radio plate request.

Rod J

Wayne Pommer

Sep 8, 2021, 8:05:26 PM9/8/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com, Jim W7JNP
It irks me that while we pay for a special plate commemorating our hobby, the only thing that's "special" is that we have our call sign on it.  Have you folks noticed some of the really cool ham plates from other states?

Here is a link that shows them -- some are really great.  Check out Alabama, Arizona, South Carolina, Utah, and Vermont have graphics, some of them are really classy!

Arkansas, Georgia, Ilinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Nevada, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming at least say "Amateur Radio right on the plate.

https://www.wb4aej.com/plates/

73, Wayne N5WAP
N5...@ARRL.NET

Bob Stephens AF9W

Sep 8, 2021, 8:09:44 PM9/8/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com, Jim W7JNP
In Arizona you pay the annual fee for a vanity plate if you want amateur radio plates and its more than $40. I know I had one. Put an amateur radio bracket on your plate, it is much cheaper.

Sep 8, 2021, 9:15:42 PM9/8/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com
I applied for my ham plate two weeks ago. The clerk knew about them but had not processed one in the last five years. I had to coach her through it.
Anybody know how long it typically takes to arrive? Just curious.
The state website says to expect 8 weeks. I’ll let you know when I finally receive it.
I can confirm it was about $40 (actually $42.25 for me), one time.

Barry K7BWH

John KA7TTY

Sep 8, 2021, 9:27:25 PM9/8/21
to Issaquah Amateur Radio Club
I remember there was a special form to submit. I suppose it has been replaced by a web page. Not sure. You will also be asked to submit a copy of your Ham license when you renew.

John KA7TTY

Lara F.

Sep 8, 2021, 9:37:47 PM9/8/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com
I think mine took 3 weeks.
Good luck!!

Sent from my Galaxy

Jim Potter

Sep 8, 2021, 9:46:45 PM9/8/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Yes please let me know when you get yours

we7x

Sep 8, 2021, 10:11:40 PM9/8/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com
When I had to replace the old plates on the Astro van last July, they told me 6 to 8 weeks, but it was more like 4 or 5 when they arrived.
Rod

Sep 8, 2021, 11:55:04 PM9/8/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com
Question, did some of you process license request via license outlets?
Web site says you have to mail check, copy of ham license and a special request HAM plate request firm to Olympia. (That license outlets can’t handle request)

Sent from my iPad

ba...@k7bwh.com

Sep 9, 2021, 1:28:23 AM9/9/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com
I filled out all my paperwork and took it to my nearest local vehicle licensing office. They checked the forms and figured out the price, which they wrote in pencil on the back. No signatures or stamps or seals or elf’s blood or electronic submission or anything. Their whole job was to tell me the amount for my check, based on the type of vehicle and if any other renewals or additional non-ham items are needed. Then I wrote the check and mailed all the required paperwork to the right address in Olympia.
Hopefully I got everything right - I’ll let you know when I hear back.

Barry K7BWH

On Sep 8, 2021, at 8:55 PM, Jim Potter (W7JNP) <w7j...@gmail.com> wrote:

Question, did some of you process license request via license outlets?

Timothy Gochenauer

Sep 9, 2021, 10:13:16 AM9/9/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com
I had gotten my HAM plate W3WNE in 5 weeks time.  And like the others confirmed, $40 annual.

Tim

John MacDuff

Sep 9, 2021, 8:43:18 PM9/9/21
to Iarc Group
Tim,  You should NOT be charged $40 each year. Has that actually happened to you?

John KA7TTY

--
Your group manager is ba...@k7bwh.com
---