[PHILOS-L] Call for Papers - dePICTions v5: The (Ottoman) Empire Strikes Back

Paris Institute for Critical Thinking (PICT)

Jul 26, 2024, 2:46:00 PM (17 hours ago) Jul 26
to PHIL...@liverpool.ac.uk
Call for Papers
dePICTions volume 5: The (Ottoman) Empire Strikes Back
Curating Editor: David Selim Sayers

https://parisinstitute.org/depictions/cfp-guidelines/

With the abolition of the Ottoman Sultanate on 1 November 1922, the last of the great agrarian empires came to an end. But while states may cease to exist overnight, the same cannot be said of the cultures on which they are built. The continued relevance of the Ottoman Empire today is mainly due to the multilingual, multiethnic, and multireligious culture it fostered for six centuries, a culture that refuses to die to this day.
Incontrovertible proof of life can be found in all fields from cuisine, as shown in Tassos Boulmetis’ masterful 2003 film, Politiki Kouzina, to Greek/Turkish folk music, and all the way to a string of atrocities including the Yazidi, Bosnian, and Armenian Genocides that have all tried—and failed—to homogenize the irreducible cultural patchwork of the former Ottoman territories. Furthermore, with its refreshing take on a range of issues from gender to justice, the Ottoman world offers impulses to rethink pretty much all that we take for granted—or for inevitable—in our own cultures today.
We welcome approaches that treat the Ottoman world not as a historical cold case, but as a living entity with continued—even urgent—pertinence today, whether in terms of ideas or of facts. While we are primarily interested in perspectives from the humanities, arts, and social sciences, we are also open to texts from other traditions (provided that our reviewer pool enables a fair assessment).

We welcome articles (3500-7000 words) by authors who understand themselves as public intellectuals. As such, articles should (a) reflect the current state of research, (b) have a distinct, critical point of view, and (c) present the issues in a way that is accessible not just to scholars, but to a broader public audience interested in critical thinking.

We further welcome book reviews (max. 2000 words), interviews (open word count), and literary/artistic pieces (open word count) that relate to the volume’s theme. Reviews of older books are welcome as long as they (a) are original and previously unpublished, (b) take the book’s historical context under consideration, and (c) contribute a critical and contemporary view to the debate.

Please consult and follow the dePICTions Submission Guidelines prior to submission.
dePICTions welcomes unsolicited articles as well as those written by special invitation.

Submission deadline: 15 January 2025
Publication date: Spring/Summer 2025
Queries and submissions: depic...@parisinstitute.org

https://parisinstitute.org/depictions/cfp-guidelines/