CfC - Conference "Artificial Intelligence and Transformations of work"

ISHPSS

Jun 9, 2023, 7:59:17 AM6/9/23
to isr-h...@googlegroups.com

From: Louis Devillaine

Dear colleagues,

The Ethics & AI Chair (Grenoble Institute of Philosophy, MIAI Institute, Université Grenoble-Alpes) is organizing an international conference on Artificial Intelligence and the Transformations of Work. This event will take place from November 20 to 22, 2023 at the Maison de la Création et de l'Innovation, in Grenoble. On this occasion, we are launching a call for communications. You will find below the terms and conditions.

Aims and call for communications
With this conference, we want to shed light on issues related to the transformation of human work, providing a contribution to these issues from an ethical perspective. To do this, it is necessary to revisit the place of work for the human condition and analyze the redefinitions underway, asking: is AI redefining work and its value?
We accept proposals in French or English. The following disciplines are invited to participate in the reflection: philosophy, sociology, social history, economics, information and communication sciences, social psychology, ergonomics, computer science, robotics.

Please send a 500 word abstract with a title, bibliographical references and a session preference to ai-work-tra...@univ-grenoble-alpes.fr by July 7th, 2023.

Sessions
The conference will be structured around four axes:
1. Replacement: Myth or Reality
2. Case Studies: analyzing the role of current systems
3. Fairness and Justice at work: what values for an ethics of work?
4. Conditions of Work
Contributions not specifically related to these themes are also welcome.

Summary
AI’s application across different domains leads us to ask: what must be done with AI at work? Its efficiency, reliability, and speed have led to diverging perspectives. Techno-pessimism claims that humans will be replaced, leading to a loss of employment and increasing inequality, while a techno-optimistic position sees the cooperation of AI and humans as emancipative, allowing humans to focus on meaningful, creative tasks. Regardless of the perspective, AI has implications for the value of work and conditions of work in the future. Through this conference, we aim to provide a social philosophy of AI and work, grounded in an ethical framework. Focusing on three axes of research, we’ll consider the history of the technological replacement debate, the conditions of work with AI, and the transformations of fairness and justice to highlight AI’s specificities. We aim to address developing questions within an emerging literature on AI’s impact on work.
You will find the complete argument of the conference on the chair's website: https://www.ethics-ai.fr/international-conference-ai-and-transformations-of-work/

Scientific coordinators of the conference
Dakota Root, Grenoble Institute of Philosophy (UGA) & Ethics & AI Chair, MIAI
Chloé Bonifas, Grenoble Institute of Philosophy (UGA) & Ethics & AI Chair, MIAI
Louis Devillaine, PACTE (CNRS & UGA) & Ethics & AI Chair, MIAI
Thierry Ménissier, Grenoble Institute of Philosophy (UGA), Director of the Ethics & AI Chair, MIAI

Best regards,

The organization team