Extended deadline - April 15 - The History and Philosophy of the Concepts of Scientific Law and Probability - CEU summer course, Budapest

ISHPSS

Mar 10, 2022, 5:54:57 AM3/10/22
to isr-h...@googlegroups.com

From: Sunweb <Sun...@CEU.EDU>

The application deadline has been extended to April 15 2022 for the course on "The History and Philosophy of the Concepts of Scientific Law and Probability" to be held on July 11–22, 2022 in Budapest, Hungary

The faculty includes prominent scholars in the relevant fields:

•             Barry Loewer, Rutgers University, USA

•             David Z. Albert, Columbia University, USA

•             Heather Demarest, University of Colorado, Boulder, USA

•             Nina Emery, Mount Holyoke College, USA

•             Michael Esfeld, University of Lausanne, Switzerland

•             Toby Handfield, Monash University, Australia

•             Michael Townsen Hicks, University of Birmingham, UK

•             Dustin Lazarovici, University of Lausanne, Switzerland

•             Christian Löw, Umeå University, Sweden

•             Isaac Wilhelm, National University of Singapore

We invite applications from graduate students, postdocs, faculty in philosophy, history and the sciences, and a few advanced undergraduate students.

The purpose of the course is to acquaint course participants with recent work on the history and metaphysics of the concept of scientific law and related concepts that are central to the development and understanding of science. These concepts are important to philosophical accounts of both science and to metaphysics. While there has been a great deal of active research on writing on the metaphysics of laws and also on the history of the concept of laws there has been little interaction between researchers involved in each project. Such interaction will greatly enhance work on both projects. One of the goals of the summer course is to initiate and encourage such interaction.

The application deadline is April 15, 2022.

******************************

Former participants said:

“The course provided an in-depth look at historical issues but also places where the contemporary literature on the laws of nature needs further development. As a young researcher, I found that particularly helpful, along with the openness of the faculty to discussion.”

“It was very useful to discuss these relevant topics with the very proponents of the ideas. I also liked the student presentations that allowed us to know more of our peers’ work.”

Eva Gedeon

Executive Director

Summer University and Special Academic Events

Central European University

CEU Summer University

e-mail: sum...@ceu.edu

Office: Nador str. 11. #403