CfA: Machine Discovery and Creation: an interdisciplinary workshop on AI in science and creative applications, Hannover, 3-4 August

ISHPSS

Jun 9, 2023, 8:05:35 AM6/9/23
to isr-h...@googlegroups.com

From: Donal Khosrowi <donal.k...@PHILOS.UNI-HANNOVER.DE>

Call for Abstracts:

Machine Discovery and Creation

 An interdisciplinary workshop: 3-4 August 2023

Leibniz University Hannover

The current decade is witnessing the rapid development of novel artificial intelligence (AI) and machine-learning-based technologies. In science, AI is now used for a variety of knowledge-generating tasks, such as discovering protein structures for developing new vaccines or restoring ancient inscriptions and making inferences about current and past societies. And creative professionals and the general public now increasingly employ generative AI to create convincing text and imagery for a variety of artistic and commercial purposes. As the processes of discovery and creation – traditionally considered the purview of humans – are increasingly carried out by machines, a range of epistemological, ethical and legal challenges arise. This workshop aims to bring together scholars from philosophy, legal studies, history, computer science and related fields to engage in interdisciplinary discussions on these issues. Possible questions to address include:

  • Are generative AI systems mere tools, or can they be considered discoverers and creators in their own right?
  • How should we think about (co-)authorship and (co-)creatorship in the context of using generative-AI?
  • How can we measure creativity, originality, or how significant an agent’s or machine’s contributions are to an output?
  • Can generative AI systems be genuinely creative or inventive and, if so, how?
  • What attributes and virtues, e.g. imagination, autonomy or humility, do AI systems require to make significant contributions to creative and scientific pursuits?
  • What can we learn about the nature of creativity and discovery, and their different forms, by considering how generative AI systems and their human users (co-)produce outputs?
  • Can and should generative AI outputs be copyrighted? If so, under what conditions?
  • What might be the purpose of distributing credit to AI systems, and would this vary in different contexts?
  • Who bears responsibility for the outputs of generative AI systems?
  • How should legislation and regulations, such as the EU AI act, respond to the growing use of AI for discovery and creation?
  • Can generative AI used in science produce evidence, on par with material evidence or expert judgment, or can it merely produce hypotheses we might seek evidence for?
  • Can we use generative AI to have informative conversations with past societies?

In seeking a broad range of perspectives, we are open to proposals from scholars of all levels for:

- Presentations (15-20 minutes)

- Lightning prompts (5 minutes)

- Roundtables or panels, consisting of either of the above formats

Interested participants are invited to submit:

- Title and format of the contribution

- Abstract (400 words including references, if applicable)

- Short author biography Works in progress are welcome if they raise a concrete question / make a concrete claim for the group to engage

Please submit your proposal via this form: https://forms.gle/AinPjooGivxDHXVg6

Submission Deadline: 26 June, 2023, 23:59 AoE.

Please share this call widely with colleagues in computer science, legal studies, history, and other relevant fields. Please also note that this will be an in-person only event. If you have any questions, please email mdacwo...@gmail.com

Organizers:

Dr. Donal Khosrowi - postdoctoral researcher in philosophy, Leibniz University Hannover

Dr. Finola Finn - postdoctoral researcher in philosophy, Leibniz University Hannover

M.A. Elinor Clark - research assistant MDAC, Leibniz University Hannover

The workshop is hosted by the MDAC (Machine Discovery and Creation) project at the Institute of Philosophy at Leibniz University Hannover. Follow this link to learn more about the project: https://www.philos.uni-hannover.de/en/research/research-projects/research-projects-detailed-pages/projects/machine-discovery-and-creation-mdac