Testers needed for "EOF/Bye" mods

Mr Blog

Oct 26, 2009, 12:33:51 AM10/26/09
to iSpykee
Since I don't experience the EOF/Bye problem with any of my test
environments and NAT/routers/firewalls, I need help from someone that
does have this problem to test. It would be great to have someone on
Windows and someone on Mac too and it would be best if these testers
are comfortable running the "spykee" (or "spykee.exe'") program
directly from the command-line.

If you can volunteer to test a new version of the iSpykee LAN
controller, please let me know, along with what platform you're on and
I can send you the code.

Ben

Oct 26, 2009, 5:00:51 AM10/26/09
to iSpykee
I have a Mac, but I'm not a programmer. I'm happy to volunteer though
if I can be helpful

Mr Blog

Oct 26, 2009, 2:27:59 PM10/26/09
to iSpykee
Anyone on an Intel Mac that wants to try it can try the beta version
of the LAN Controller (command-line only) by grabbing the following
file: http://www.ispykee.com/downloads/ispykee-mac-intel-beta.zip

For command-line usage instructions, see: http://www.ispykee.com/command-line-usage

In addition to handling cases of the robot or server connections being
interrupted and when the Spykee robot goes haywire (which it
occasionally appears to do), this version is also compiled with "Audio
surveillance" enabled. When surveillance mode is activated, in
addition to capturing motion with the camera, this version turns the
Spykee microphone on and captures audio into AudioXXX.au files in the
motion directory when it detects sounds.

Ben

Oct 26, 2009, 3:53:41 PM10/26/09
to iSpykee
I have an Intel Mac so I'll give it a try.

Mr Blog

Oct 26, 2009, 4:34:10 PM10/26/09
to iSpykee
A Windows version of the beta is here:

http://www.ispykee.com/downloads/ispykee-win-beta.zip

L!TH!UM

Oct 26, 2009, 6:32:01 PM10/26/09
to iSpykee
On Oct 25, 9:33 pm, Mr Blog <mrblogdot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since I don't experience the EOF/Bye problem with any of my test
> environments and NAT/routers/firewalls, I need help from someone that
> does have this problem to test.
I'm curious as to what the assumed problem is with particular NAT
based routers. Can you offer a bit of insight into this? From time
to time I experience the EOF/Bye message, running on Ubuntu 9.04 64bit
Linux. I have other servers running on this machine, including a VNC
server, SSH, SFTP, and an apache web server and all those work just
fine without errors or dropping connections.

> ...It would be great to have someone on
> Windows and someone on Mac too and it would be best if these testers
> are comfortable running the "spykee" (or "spykee.exe'") program
> directly from the command-line.
What no Linux users included? :-P If need be, I can compile the new
version and give it a go. The current version I have has been heavily
modified to work as a stand-alone server which I can connect to with a
custom GUI and my Android based phone.

~L!TH

Mr Blog

Oct 26, 2009, 8:49:08 PM10/26/09
to iSpykee
The EOF/Bye you're seeing from "time to time" is probably different
than what others see on a more regular basis.

It's quite clear in those cases that the NAT router is closing the TCP
connection (injecting a FIN) but what's not clear is why. There is
periodic traffic over the connection, so I would expect it to be
enough to prevent idle timers. I suspect it may be some kind of
general cleanup some routers do where they simply close all
connections once in a while (or the routers are crashing and resetting
all open connections). This would not affect web browsing since those
are stateless/transient connections.

All such cases should be handled gracefully in the current "beta"
code.

On Oct 26, 3:32 pm, "L!TH!UM" <clarkd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What no Linux users included? :-P  If need be, I can compile the new
> version and give it a go.  The current version I have has been heavily
> modified to work as a stand-alone server which I can connect to with a
> custom GUI and my Android based phone.

I'm glad to hear you've been able to use the code to build upon -
that's the great thing about open-source. Let me know if you'd like to
promote your variant on iSpykee.com or related sites. Is the code
released somewhere?

You can grab the current beta source code to build on Linux at:
http://www.ispykee.com/downloads/betaspykee.zip

Ben

Oct 28, 2009, 5:48:06 AM10/28/09
to iSpykee
Sorry the command line technique was a little beyond me :(

L!TH!UM

Oct 28, 2009, 12:25:41 PM10/28/09
to iSpykee
On Oct 26, 5:49 pm, Mr Blog <mrblogdot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm glad to hear you've been able to use the code to build upon -
> that's the great thing about open-source. Let me know if you'd like to
> promote your variant on iSpykee.com or related sites.  Is the code
> released somewhere?
I have a couple of things I need to clean up and add to the code prior
to posting it on google code. Right now there is no authentication,
so as long as I connect on the right port, and send the correct
commands, spykee can be controlled remotely. It has served my
purposes for getting things going and to get a client written for
Android based phones, but security is a must.

I am a firm believer in the Open Source community and will surely post
the server code as well as the GUI for Mac/Windows/Linux and the
Android client. Thanks for providing a good base to start with.

~L!TH

L!TH!UM

Oct 28, 2009, 12:59:02 PM10/28/09
to iSpykee
On Oct 26, 5:49 pm, Mr Blog <mrblogdot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The EOF/Bye you're seeing from "time to time" is probably different
> than what others see on a more regular basis.

It is possible that it is something different, and if so, it would be
nice to figure it out. I'm not quite sure what I need to put in place
to do this, perhaps some increased logging to stderr listing the
socket errors with more descriptive text? One thing I did notice, is
that if I am streaming images, I tend to get this error more
frequently, but that could be because the images are constantly being
streamed which means more packets and more chance for the error to
arise.

~L!TH