KDE Integration

Tom Albers

May 17, 2010, 5:21:51 PM5/17/10
to ISP Configuration Database
Hi,

The last few days I've implemented ISP Configuration Database into
KDEPIM, which consists of KMail and Kontact. More info about how I
implemented it in a nice demo is at:
http://www.omat.nl/2010/05/17/accountwizard-demo/

See also the blogs from the past few days for more some more info.
I've now come to a point where I think the querying of the isp
database works fine, and I'm waiting for some beta release to get some
more feedback from the users. For people that want to glance over the
code, please find it here:
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdepim/runtime/accountwizard/ispdb/ispdb.cpp?revision=1127202&view=markup

As this should be fine for a group of our users, I'm also very
interested in the setup for smaller providers where they can setup a
dns record or return the xml when requested. I was pointed to
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Thunderbird/Autoconfiguration for
more information about that, but with my tests with thunderbird this
part does not seem to work, or I'm not understanding it correctly. Can
someone help me and tell how the implementation in Thunderbird is done
currently?

I've some more questions, but let's start with this one. In any case I
wanted to thank you for creating this system. It's improving
everyone's life, so definitely worth it.

Best,

Tom Albers
KDE Developer.

Blake Winton

May 18, 2010, 3:08:25 PM5/18/10
to is...@googlegroups.com
On 10-05-17 5:21 PM, Tom Albers wrote:
> The last few days I've implemented ISP Configuration Database into
> KDEPIM, which consists of KMail and Kontact. More info about how I
> implemented it in a nice demo is at:
> http://www.omat.nl/2010/05/17/accountwizard-demo/

Nice!

> See also the blogs from the past few days for more some more info.
> I've now come to a point where I think the querying of the isp
> database works fine, and I'm waiting for some beta release to get some
> more feedback from the users. For people that want to glance over the
> code, please find it here:
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdepim/runtime/accountwizard/ispdb/ispdb.cpp?revision=1127202&view=markup

It looks like you might be losing the order of the servers in the XML.
Thunderbird feels that the default selected incoming server (if there
are more than one) should be the first one listed in the XML file.

And if you're getting the v1.1 files, you shouldn't need to test for
"plain" or "secure" authentication.

> As this should be fine for a group of our users, I'm also very
> interested in the setup for smaller providers where they can setup a
> dns record or return the xml when requested. I was pointed to
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Thunderbird/Autoconfiguration for
> more information about that, but with my tests with thunderbird this
> part does not seem to work, or I'm not understanding it correctly. Can
> someone help me and tell how the implementation in Thunderbird is done
> currently?

Here's the implementation in Thunderbird (I think it might not have
landed until 3.1):
http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/mailnews/base/prefs/content/accountcreation/fetchConfig.js#78

> I've some more questions, but let's start with this one. In any case I
> wanted to thank you for creating this system. It's improving
> everyone's life, so definitely worth it.

Thanks!

Later,
Blake.