MX based autoconfig?

Max Grobecker

Feb 17, 2012, 8:03:50 AM2/17/12
to ISP Configuration Database
Hello,

I've read a few comments and think this topic has not been covered
yet:
I work for a mid-size ISP in germany and our customers can receive
mails on their own domains.

The DNS zone can be edited by our customers and we don't like the idea
to add a "autoconfig" CNAME record to each zone - since we cannot be
sure that this customer really uses our mail service.

If the customer uses our mail service, the MX record is always the
same: "smtp-in.provider.de".
I think it would be more useful if Thunderbird also looks up the MX
record and tries to determine SRV or "autoconfig." entry on the MX
record. Something like this way:

TB looks up MX customerdomain.de --> smtp-in.provider.de
TB looks up autoconfig.smtp-in.provider.de ---> if exists, go there
and look for an autoconfig xml file. If not, try to lookup SRV records
or do something else...

Maybe that would be the easiest way for providers to provide
autoconfiguration for customer domains.

Greetings from Wuppertal, Germany
Max Grobecker

Ludovic Hirlimann

Feb 17, 2012, 11:04:56 AM2/17/12
to Max Grobecker, ISP Configuration Database
On 2/17/12 2:03 PM, Max Grobecker wrote:
[...]

That would be the case if our dns code would knew how to query srv and other text field and it does not for now do that.

see bugs

Ludo
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lhirlimann/