Shipping ISPC binaries with software

Pramod Kumbhar

Apr 3, 2020, 2:24:08 AM4/3/20
to Intel SPMD Program Compiler Users
Hello ISPC Authors, Maintainers,

We are developing open source simulator and source-to-source code generation tool where we use ISPC as one of the backend.

We would like to package ISPC binaries when we create source or binary distribution of our software (to avoid need for end users to setup development environment).

Are there any licensing issues with this?

Being LLVM based project, the LICENSE file states:

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
* Neither the name of Intel Corporation nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

I believe it’s not a problem but just want to double check.

Also, if there are any obvious pitfalls for shipping binaries, any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dmitry Babokin

Apr 3, 2020, 2:34:00 AM4/3/20
to ispc-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and my understanding of licensing issues is far from perfect.

Our license is 3-clause BSD license, which is quite permissive.

We just moved our downloads to Github release, which should be reliable download location. So you can consider downloading ISPC on user side, when your users need that (as part for setup or config step).

Do you have a link to your project, so I can have a closer look?

Dmitry.

Pramod Kumbhar

Apr 13, 2020, 4:40:47 PM4/13/20
to Intel SPMD Program Compiler Users
Sorry for delay in response.

> Our license is 3-clause BSD license, which is quite permissive.
> We just moved our downloads to Github release, which should be reliable download location. So you can consider downloading ISPC on user side, when your users need that (as part for setup or config step).

The tools we are developing are part of NEURON simulation framework: https://neuron.yale.edu/neuron/
One of the use case we have is that for windows we ship installer with minimal development environment including GCC. If we have to add ISPC backend then shipping ISPC binary would be ideal (instead of asking domain experts to setup dev environment).
(We are brainstorming similar approach to distribute self contained python wheels with minimal development environment for NEURON).

> Do you have a link to your project, so I can have a closer look?

Sure! We are developing source-to-source compiler framework called NMODL : https://github.com/BlueBrain/nmodl. The draft manuscript describing overall framework is available on arXiv here: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1905.02241.pdf

I will be happy to provide any additional information needed.

-Pramod

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 11:24 PM Pramod Kumbhar <pramod....@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Dmitry Babokin

Apr 20, 2020, 6:12:07 PM4/20/20
to ispc-...@googlegroups.com
Pramod,

ISPC is licensed under BSD-3C with 3rd party dependencies under other open source licenses. You should review the license and assess if this works for you.

We don't have any restrictions for redistribution, other than noted in the license.

Personally, I appreciated notification that you are going to use and redistribute our compiler, as it allows us to better understand how our projects is used.

Dmitry.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ispc-users/727d7138-89b1-407f-9cfa-ea623c665838%40googlegroups.com.