Debugging ISPC under windows

Ihab

May 14, 2014, 12:13:45 AM5/14/14
to ispc...@googlegroups.com
Hi ISPC experts,

I'm wondering why is there no support for ISPC debugging under windows? and is this support planned in the near future? I am a VS user and would like to use VS IDE to debug ISPC programs if possible.

Thanks,
Ihab

Dmitry Babokin

May 20, 2014, 11:41:44 AM5/20/14
to ispc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ihab,

Sorry for late reply.

ISPC uses LLVM project for code optimisation and code generation, so we depend on LLVM's ability to produce debug information. And it's not easy for LLVM to produce debug info on Windows (in format that VS can understand), as it's not open and Microsoft is not providing public APIs for generating it.

Nevertheless, there's a way to generate debug info on Windows and LLVM has implemented it partially, they are using "old style" debug info encoded in COFF object file format.

I've talked to the guy who contributed the latest LLVM patches for debug info support and looks like there are still some missing pieces. I'm looking forward to see this problem fixed in LLVM 3.5, but not completely sure that it will be fixed. I'll keep pinging this guy to see if he can solve the problem.

-Dmitry.

Ihab

May 23, 2014, 3:21:10 AM5/23/14
to ispc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dmitry for the response and clarification. Fingers crossed! Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Ihab

Colin Barré-Brisebois

Jun 25, 2017, 10:11:49 AM6/25/17
to Intel SPMD Program Compiler Developers
Hi!

Any updates on having proper debugging support on Windows?

-Colin

Dmitry Babokin

Jun 25, 2017, 6:03:45 PM6/25/17
to ispc...@googlegroups.com