CFP: ISN Summer Conference; Summer Fellowship Program for Students 2009

jk...@isnature.org

Feb 4, 2009, 8:10:07 PM2/4/09
to isn-announce
Dear ISN friends,

Complete information is now available on our website www.isnature.org
about our third annual Summer Seminar and Conference, June 15-20, 2009
at MIT. The theme for both events is "Reduction, Emergence, and
Essence."

Our Summer Fellowship Program (the Seminar) consists of four days of
talks and seminars (June 15-19, talks and discussions on classic and
modern texts), primarily intended for students (i.e., our Summer
Fellows). The Conference is the day and a half immediately following
the Seminar and extends its study with scholarly paper presentations.

If you are a student, we hope you will take a little time to find
someone to nominate you to be a Summer Fellow. The main Seminar
webpage is here: http://isnature.org/Events/2009/Summer/Seminar.htm.
Information about Honor Scholarships is at the bottom of the page. The
initial deadline for Seminar applications is February 23rd.

The papers and intellectual fellowship at our past Conferences have
been superb, and we expect the same this year. Paper presenters for
this year’s Conference will have their expenses paid (hotel,
conference fee, travel). This includes the entire fare for travel from
within the U.S. (half of the fare from outside). The conference fee
includes a special concluding banquet on Saturday night, so even those
not presenting get a great value for a relatively modest price. The
deadline for Conference paper proposals and CVs is March 2nd. The full
CFP follows this note.

If you are a professor or mentor, please consider nominating some of
your students for our Summer Fellowship Program (a.k.a. Summer
Seminar), particularly if they might qualify for one of the
competitive Honor Scholarships we are offering this year. Again, the
initial deadline for Seminar applications is February 23rd.

We hope that you will be able to join us this year, whether at the
Seminar or the Conference, and we ask that you share this information
with your friends and colleagues. As you know we are a young and
growing organization without much of an advertizing budget. We would
appreciate your help in promoting these events. The bottom of the
Seminar webpage (url above) includes brochures and posters you can
download and print out to help us promote the Seminar and Conference
in the places you live and work—thank you!

Btw we can send you copies of posters or brochures in case, say, you
have some problem printing them out. Email me your name, postal
address, and the number of each item you can reasonably distribute,
and I’ll mail them out to you as soon as I can.

Thank you for your help and attention!

Best regards,

John

John W. Keck, Ph.D.
Director & Fellow
Institute for the Study of Nature
jk...@isnature.org
www.isnature.org
ph: 202-640-2720

============================

ISN Summer Conference 2009:
"Reduction, Emergence, and Essence"

What: A one and one-half day academic conference with one or two
keynote addresses, and the presentation of academic papers. This
year’s conference will center on scientific and philosophical
strategies for understanding the natural world. Papers are welcome on
topics ranging from anti-reductionism/holism in science to self-
organization, systems theory, and complexity, to papers in natural
philosophy in the neo-Aristotelian or phenomenological traditions. To
get a sense of the range of relevant topics, see the ISN “articles,
essays, and books” page, as well as the conference schedules for 2008
and 2007.

Who: Scholars interested in giving papers are welcome to submit
their proposals along with a CV by Monday, March 2nd. Please let us
know if you would like your paper considered for selection as an hour-
long keynote address (normal papers are 30 mins). All presenters will
have their lodging paid for, Conference fee waived, and travel
expenses reimbursed—fully for travel from within the U.S. and half for
travel from without. The keynote speaker or speakers will be announced
by April 6th. Any interested scholar may attend, but please notify us
by May 15th that you plan to come.

Summer Fellows from the immediately preceding Summer Seminar are
expected to remain to participate in this conference, which has been
specially scheduled for them. Please consider nominating your own
students for our Summer Fellowship Program, particularly if they might
qualify for one of our competitive Honor Scholarships.

When: The Summer Conference begins on Friday afternoon, June 19th,
at 3:30pm, and ends on Saturday evening. A block of hotel rooms will
be reserved at a special Conference rate, and those whose papers are
accepted will have their lodging paid for. Further scheduling
information will be posted on the ISN website: www.isnature.org.

Where: The Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge,
Massachusetts. Limited information about travel and other logistics is
available on the conference logistics page. More specific information
will be sent to those who let us know they are coming.

How: Please contact ISN Director John Keck by May 15th if you plan
to attend. The $50 fee for the Summer Conference includes the
conference banquet on Saturday evening. The fee can be reduced or
waived on a showing of need. Attendees not presenting are expected to
cover their own travel expenses, but exceptions will be considered on
a case-by-case basis. Paper proposals and accompanying CVs must be
received by Monday, March 2nd, 2009; decisions will be announced by
Tuesday, March 31st. Electronic submission is strongly encouraged.

semi...@isnature.org
More info here: http://isnature.org/Events/2009/Summer/Conference.htm