ISM training coming up in London and Birmingham

dange...@riseup.net

Feb 14, 2012, 7:39:53 AM2/14/12
to ism googlegroup
ISM London will be running free training sessions in London and Birmingham
over the next few months:

24 and 25 March – London
12 and 13 May – Birmingham

To reserve a space on one of the above training sessions, or to be
informed when more are arranged please email: trai...@ism-london.org.uk.

ABOUT ISM LONDON TRAINING

Are you:

•Aged between 18 and 75?
•Reasonably fit?
•Able to afford a return ticket and some spending money?
•Willing to spend two or more weeks in Palestine?
If so, we’d like to hear from you.

The ISM London training/orientation week-end provides pre-travel
information and practical advice to anyone thinking about going on a
solidarity visit to Palestine — with no obligation to join ISM afterwards.

Our experienced volunteers can help answer your questions about the
movement, what we do and the current situation on the ground in Palestine.
You’ll learn useful skills to help you be effective and welcome, and gain
an understanding of the underlying issues. Most trainees really enjoy the
week-end and find it inspires and motivates them.

Training takes place over two days. It is important to attend on both
days, otherwise you will miss half of the training programme. We recommend
that, if possible, you attend a training weekend at least a month before
your travel date.

Training involves discussion on the following topics:

Hopes and Fears; Overview of the Occupation; ISM History and Principles;
Non-Violence; Cultural Awareness; Motivations and Solidarity; Checkpoints,
Settlers and Legal briefing; Consensus Decision-Making; Getting In; Media;
Practicalities; and Emotional Well-being.

ISM London’s pre-travel training in the UK is strongly recommended, but
does not replace the compulsory two day ISM training you will receive in
Palestine. We do not charge money for ISM London training, but we do ask
for donations to cover trainers’ expenses (suggested donation: £10 each).
Please click here for advice on pre-training preparation.

Training and accommodation in Palestine are provided for a nominal fee
(less than £3 per day). The ISM Palestine training is required to join the
group. For more information on preparation, travel and arrival in
Palestine, please see the ISM Palestine website.

Please note: Individuals interested in volunteering with the ISM in Gaza
must have previous experience with ISM in the West Bank.

ISM London’s training is very highly regarded. In 2009 alone we trained
over 100 people. Here is what some of them said.

Feedback from training weekends

January 2012

•“it has made me even more passionate and confident”
•“I wasn’t sure which organisation to go with but now feel ISM would
definitely be the one”
•“The modules were excellent, so were the trainers”
•“The trainers are awesome and well experienced”
•“even more eager to go. Also more eager to work with ISM”

February 2010

•“Great training, I am very grateful.”
•“Fantastic course, I can’t say enough how good the trainers and content
are.”
•“It was great”

June 2009

•“I want to go! Fantastic organisation”
•“So much was covered. Passionate, interesting trainers. Loved finding out
more about history, the organisation, media, consensus decision making.”
•“It’s made me want to go even more”

February 2009

•“I found the trainers very approachable and helpful. I had most of my
worries addressed and found a lot of others on the course had the same
worries as me, which was good to know. I would recommend the course to
anybody wanting to go to Palestine.”

January 2009

•“Trainers were all very encouraging, inspiring, knowledgeable and
approachable”
•“Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed the training. I feel inspired/motivated
to go to Palestine”
•“It was a good mix of pure information and interactive activities”
•“Got a better idea of the strong non-violent aspect”
•“Viewpoints came across as relatively balanced”
•“ISM has a positive core belief system and is something I relate to”
..