ISM London will be running a training session to prepare you for volunteering in Palestine on 5 and 6 April 2014 in London.
- Aged between 18 and 75?
- Reasonably fit?
- Able to afford a return ticket and some spending money?
- Willing to spend two or more weeks in Palestine?
If so, we’d like to hear from you.
The ISM London training/orientation week-end provides pre-travel information and practical advice to anyone thinking about going on a solidarity visit to Palestine — with no obligation to join ISM afterwards.
Our experienced volunteers can help answer your questions about the movement, what we do and the current situation on the ground in Palestine. You’ll learn useful skills to help you be effective and welcome, and gain an understanding of the underlying issues. Most trainees really enjoy the week-end and find it inspires and motivates them.
Training takes place over two days. It is important to attend on both days, otherwise you will miss half of the training programme. We recommend that, if possible, you attend a training weekend at least a month before your travel date.
Training involves discussion on the following topics:
Hopes and Fears; Overview of the Occupation; ISM History and Principles; Non-Violence; Cultural Awareness; Motivations and Solidarity; Checkpoints, Settlers and Legal briefing; Consensus Decision-Making; Getting In; Media; Practicalities; and Emotional Well-being.
ISM London’s pre-travel training in the UK is strongly recommended, but does not replace the compulsory two day ISM training you will receive in Palestine. We do not charge money for ISM London training, but we do ask for donations to cover trainers’ expenses (suggested donation: £10 each). Please click here for advice on pre-training preparation.
Training and accommodation in Palestine are provided for a nominal fee (less than £3 per day). The ISM Palestine training is required to join the group. For more information on preparation, travel and arrival in Palestine, please see the ISM Palestine website.
Please note: Individuals interested in volunteering with the ISM in Gaza must have previous experience with ISM in the West Bank.
ISM London’s training is very highly regarded. Over 250 people have been trained since 2009, here is what some of them said.
- “Engaging activities that were excellently structured; warm, friendly trainers with great knowledge.”
- “I feel more positive about going, there were a couple of things i had reservations about but they’ve all been addressed.”
- “You did a great job in creating a safe space in a short period of time, it was easy to feel comfortable about asking questions, thank you.”
- “An excellent couple of days. It left me inspired and eager to take part.”
- “Made me want to go even more”
- “What was good about the training? – The attitude and approachability of the instructors”
- “Thank you, you are amazing”
- Just a big thank you for a great weekend and for helping me make the decision to get involved”
- “It has reinforced my decision to travel to Palestine”
- “cemented my decision to go”
- “it’s perfectly designed”
- “I feel that I am now better informed going into Palestine. If anything I am more eager to go, and that is because of the training session”
- “Excited, enthusiastic”
- “more eager to go now”
- “it has made me even more passionate and confident”
- “I wasn’t sure which organisation to go with but now feel ISM would definitely be the one”
- “The modules were excellent, so were the trainers”
- “The trainers are awesome and well experienced”
- “even more eager to go. Also more eager to work with ISM”
- “Great training, I am very grateful.”
- “Fantastic course, I can’t say enough how good the trainers and content are.”
- “It was great”
- “I want to go! Fantastic organisation”
- “So much was covered. Passionate, interesting trainers. Loved finding out more about history, the organisation, media, consensus decision making.”
- “It’s made me want to go even more”
- “I found the trainers very approachable and helpful. I had most of my worries addressed and found a lot of others on the course had the same worries as me, which was good to know. I would recommend the course to anybody wanting to go to Palestine.”
- “Trainers were all very encouraging, inspiring, knowledgeable and approachable”
- “Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed the training. I feel inspired/motivated to go to Palestine”
- “It was a good mix of pure information and interactive activities”
- “Got a better idea of the strong non-violent aspect”
- “Viewpoints came across as relatively balanced”
- “ISM has a positive core belief system and is something I relate to