2.0.0 Release Update

Daniel Lamb

Aug 6, 2021, 12:13:29 PM8/6/21
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Happy Friday.  I'm wrapping up my first week here at Born Digital, and thought it would be good that I give everyone a status update.

First off, I'll start by saying that Noah and Born Digital are generously allowing me to attend community meetings as I see fit.  But I am onboarding and trying to settle into my new position and schedule, so I may be absent for a bit. I'll totally be back, mind you. In fact, I look forward to being more vocal in my opinions now that I've shed the cloak of neutrality that's required of a tech lead.  But if you're looking for me on slack or in meetings, I'll probably not have a ton of time for next week or so.

Secondly, and this is probably what y'all care about more than my status, I owe everyone an update on the release.  The release versions have been tagged for everything.  So the code has been released, per se, but there's still a bit left to do on the devops side of things.  I've personally updated ISLE so that it deploys the latest code and config, but I haven't sliced a release of it yet. I think it needs another once-over just to make sure before pulling the trigger.  I know folks want the released code ASAP, and it's totally available, but a few more sanity checks before making the final release announcement would be prudent.  I know folks have been keeping the playbook somewhat up to date as well, and I'll defer to those who are using it if we can/should slice a release of it since my focus has really been on ISLE for the past year or so.

Lastly, just want to bust up a little misleading nomenclature that's been floating around the community.  This release is 2.0.0, not 2.0, which feels more like a branding exercise than semantic versioning.  Islandora 2.0.0 is improved, just not new and improved 😀 But sincerely, we're trying to move away from numbers in the name.  The coordinating committee decided to drop 7/8/9 from the end of Islandora, and I'd rather not tack a new number on the end to replace it. We had to do a major version bump this time because Drupal forced us to as we adopted D9 and true semantic versioning. If it weren't for that we'd have Islandora 1.2.0 instead.

Anyhoo, lots of love from PEI, and I'll see y'all around in a bit.  Hope you're all enjoying the last of your summer.

--

Danny Lamb

Senior Drupal Developer

Pronouns: he/him/his

Born-Digital | 84 Russell St, Hadley MA | (413) 259-6777 | born-digital.com