IslandoraCon 2023 - Clarifying Format

Kirsta Stapelfeldt

May 3, 2023, 10:02:19 AM5/3/23
to isla...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

Sorry for cluttering your collective mailboxes. I've been sick for a few days and am catching up. The Slack channel has been fielding questions about what will be "online" about IslandoraCon 2023.

Is IslandoraCon a Hybrid event?

IslandoraCon is an in-person event. Sessions will be recorded and released as quickly as possible to the larger community, pending the approval of the presenter.

Why is IslandoraCon an in-person event?

The program committee decided that IslandoraCon 2023 would be a purely in-person event, based on feedback from last years participants that the hybrid format had serious limitations. We were also influenced by our capacity, staffing, and available funding to explore things like commercial platforms for hybrid delivery. We felt more empowered to do this since we just had the March camp, which was a purely virtual event that incorporated community sessions as well as training.

I promise that sessions will be put on our YouTube channel as quickly as labour will allow after the conclusion of the conference. Last year's sessions were made available linked to the conference program (see: https://2022.islandora.ca/schedule/).

What kind of event formats can I expect Islandora to use in future?

I think that it's too soon to say what will be "best practice" for Foundation-coordinated events going forward as the effects of the pandemic on academic conference travel continue to play out. In the short-term, I hope to engage the ICC in a discussion (to become community consultation) on the best short-term event strategies for the Foundation. If you have immediate thoughts on the topic: frequency, format, or anything else, we'd be happy to hear them. I would also encourage you to come to our virtual monthly open meetings, and volunteer to support event planning in the community as opportunities arise.

Thanks and hope you all have a good Wednesday,

Kirsta

Kirsta Stapelfeldt (How I pronounce it)

Book a chat

Head | Digital Scholarship Unit
UTSC Library

UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO SCARBOROUGH

Library | AC 275 | 1265 Military Trail, Toronto, Ontario, M1C 1A4

Follow @UTSCLibrary on InstagramTwitter and Facebook.