Islandora Sandbox: Access Denied for admin functions

Mark Cyzyk

May 20, 2024, 10:27:50 AMMay 20
to islandora
All,

I have installed the Dockerized Islandora Sandbox both here on my workstation and on my laptop:

It's running!  I am spinning in my chair!

But when I go to do something Administrative -- like perform an Update, install a new Module, install a new Theme -- I get an Access Denied error.

I am logged on as admin/password and seem to have full administrative privileges.

If, for some reason, this functionality has been disabled in the Sandbox (which would make it much less useful as a kick-the-tires tool) is there some way to enable it?

(I am new to Islandora and need to run it locally, perform updates, add/configure Modules, add/configure Themes -- basically play in a local sandbox.)

Advice appreciated,

Mark

Rosie Le Faive

May 21, 2024, 5:26:11 AMMay 21
to islandora
Hi Mark,

You've found a weird bug. We don't deny any features in the sandbox. Curious, I installed the sandbox locally (on main, not on the latest release, though at the moment they're the same commit) and  was unable to reproduce your issue (I went to Extend and installed the Book module with no issue).

If you're getting a fully loaded Drupal page with a header bar etc. that says Access Denied, then I'm completely baffled. I can think of a few ways to do that but you'd have to go out of your way.

If you're getting a white screen with a stark error message, then it might be a fault of one of our modules, and the tools below might help:

My main debugging tool is the Drupal log, so if you can access http://islandora.io/admin/reports/dblog in your browser it might have more info. If access is denied, you can dig into the logs by going in the docker container. Most folks here use `docker compose exec` with a million flags that I forget, so I use Docker Desktop, find the Drupal container (called something like "sandbox-drupal-1") and click "Exec" to open a shell. From the home directory I can run the command `drush ws` to show the logs, `drush ws --extended` to show more detail.

And failing that, the apache logs. But I'm not sure that's relevant because you mentioned seeing "Access Denied".

The Sandbox should work as you're intending it to, so I'm happy to continue debugging with you. But you could try one of our other installation methods. Isle Site Template is closest to the Sandbox, and only requires ~5 more copy-paste commands to get it running. ISLE-DC is another option, which does a lot more scaffolding (such as bind-mounting a codebase folder so you can use an IDE on local files).

Feel free to join us on Slack too!

-Rosie

Mark Cyzyk

May 21, 2024, 7:22:49 PMMay 21
to isla...@googlegroups.com, lef...@gmail.com

Ah!  Looks like it's attempting to run the job as "anonymous" (even though I am logged on as Admin):

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Mark Cyzyk, M.A., M.L.S.
Library Applications Group
The Sheridan Libraries
The Johns Hopkins University
mcy...@jhu.edu

Verba volant, scripta manent.
On 5/21/24 10:53, Mark Cyzyk wrote:

Thanks, Rosie,

Looking into this now...

I have attached two screenshots, the second one shows the Access Denied error I am getting.

You've found a weird bug.

That is my lot in Life!

More later....

Mark