File download for Islandora repository items

Franziska Geisser

Aug 13, 2021, 8:26:19 AM8/13/21
to islandora
Hi,

This is probably a very stupid question and the answer will be simple - but I just can't work it out: How do I have to configure a repository item with a model and media type "image" in order to offer the image file (original or service file) for download instead of displaying it in the OpenSeadragon viewer? I tried setting the display hint to N/A and choosing EVA: MediaEVAs - Original File - Download in the default display mode. But that had no effect.
Is there a way to create something like a download button or download link with default Islandora options? Or is an additional module required for this?

Regards,
Franziska

Seth Shaw

Aug 13, 2021, 10:44:46 AM8/13/21
to 'Donnie Hardin' via islandora
One thing to note is that the media *also* have display modes. By default the display modes are all configured to display the item or load a media player (with the exception of the File media). You can create a new display mode for media called something like "Download" and then add whatever fields to that display mode for each media that you would like. Further, each file type has their own formatters, so the audio file has a generic link formatter, but there aren't any image formatters provided by default that simply display a link. So, @ UNLV, we use the file_download module (https://www.drupal.org/project/file_download) and use that formatter for all of our download media display modes. Then you can either modify the existing Original File EVA to use the new media display mode you created, or create a whole new one to add to your Node's display modes.

I hope that was clear and helpful. We can also chat on the Islandora Slack if you want to talk through it.

--
For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
---

Franziska Geisser

Aug 13, 2021, 11:34:11 AM8/13/21
to isla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Seth,

This is very helpful! I will take a closer look at the media display modes and will post a message on Slack if I have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Franziska

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "islandora" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/islandora/CANuEgP4%2BO4kFaaW__r1tknGSSrz8FnB%3DJ3kepxAHK-3c4GsPyQ%40mail.gmail.com.