Islandora Defaults dependencies

Pietro

Jul 9, 2022, 5:59:45 PM7/9/22
to islandora
Hello,
I'm a complete beginner using "Islandora 2.0.0" on a "Drupal 8.9.20" installation.
To get the "Repository Item" content type, I installed the "Islandora Defaults 8.x-1.0" module: no error or missing required module is shown in the module list page.
Activating this module, selecting it in the module list page and pushing the "Install" button, I get the error:

Unable to install Islandora Defaults due to unmet dependencies: core.entity_form_display.media.file.default (field.field.media.file.field_media_use), core.entity_form_display.taxonomy_term.islandora_display.default (field.field.taxonomy_term.islandora_display.field_external_uri, taxonomy.vocabulary.islandora_display), core.entity_form_display.taxonomy_term.islandora_media_use.default (field.field.taxonomy_term.islandora_media_use.field_external_uri, taxonomy.vocabulary.islandora_media_use), core.entity_form_display.taxonomy_term.islandora_models.default (field.field.taxonomy_term.islandora_models.field_external_uri, taxonomy.vocabulary.islandora_models), core.entity_view_display.media.image.open_seadragon (field.field.media.image.field_media_use), field.field.node.islandora_object.field_display_hints (field.storage.node.field_display_hints, taxonomy.vocabulary.islandora_display), field.field.node.islandora_object.field_model (field.storage.node.field_model, taxonomy.vocabulary.islandora_models)

What is missing?
Thanks in advance for any hint,
Pietro

Rosie Le Faive

Jul 11, 2022, 8:49:24 AM7/11/22
to islandora
Hi Pietro,

It might help you to install Islandora through one of our automated install systems, ISLE or the ansible playbook. We also have a demo sandbox installation that includes content (it's a clone of our online sandbox) that you can download and play with.

But for your question, it looks like the islandora_core_feature isn't installed. There is also a migration that needs to run after installing it, to install the "tags" that Islandora uses to classify content. This step is listed in the 'install' section of the README, and there's also one for Islandora defaults. Here is the line in the playbook that does `drush migrate:import` (mim) for them both.

As for versions, it's recommended that you use Composer to install Islandora. We're currently on tag 2.4.0 of Islandora and 2.1.1 for Defaults.

Rosie Le Faive

Jul 11, 2022, 8:55:02 AM7/11/22
to islandora
Ah - I see from your other post that you are installing based on Drupal.org.

We have a rich ecosystem over on github.com that hasn't yet been able to be ported to D.o so the modules that you are getting are stale. We realize this as a flaw in our system and have put out a call for proposals to help remedy this, but it likely won't be done for a while. For the meantime our documentation is here. And when using Composer, our modules are on packagist and can be required as `islandora/islandora` (not drupal/islandora).

Pietro

Jul 11, 2022, 11:32:42 AM7/11/22
to islandora
Hi Rosie,
problem solved simply using "composer require islandora/islandora_defaults" instead of "composer require drupal/islandora_defaults"

Thanks for your support,
Pietro

Pietro

Jul 17, 2022, 10:11:43 AM7/17/22
to islandora
Hello,
continuing the walkthrough in Islandora Defaults, I created repository Items with associated  images , like the following screenshots

tmp.jpeg

tmp.jpg

Displaying this element, however, the image is not shown:

temp.jpg

I tried to change the display modes like in https://islandora.github.io/documentation/user-documentation/resource-nodes/#display-modes , with no success: any suggestion about what configuration is missing?

Thanks, Pietro

Rosie Le Faive

Jul 19, 2022, 7:51:57 AM7/19/22
to islandora
Hi Pietro,

Sorry if this is the wrong question, but are you sure that the media is linked to the node? It should appear in the node's "Media" tab. If not, go to the Media and find the "Media Of" field. Set it to your existing node. This happens automatically if you create Media from the _node's_ Media tab (but not if you create it from the global Media tab).

Also, your Media needs to be tagged with a "Media Use" for it to display. The "Original File" tag should cause derivatives to be created, while "Service File" is usually what gets displayed in the browser as you're looking for.

If that's set up correctly, there may be something up with the display modes:

- Use your browser's inspector to see what view mode you're on. You should see something like node--view-mode-full as a class on an element. Hence the view mode is "full" or "full content" (human-readable name).
- Check your content type's display settings (at [your site]/admin/structure/types/manage/islandora_object/display) and see if that view mode (in this case "full") is in the list of configured display modes (tabs along the top). If not, then use the Default tab.
- In this view mode, is there an EVA view configured to show? You should see a whole list - probably most in "disabled" - of EVA: XXX-EVA - YYY (e.g. EVA: Media EVAs - Service File). If you just want a basic image to show up, find one of the "EVA: Media EVAs". The others are used to display files in special viewers, which aren't needed for images. Each Media EVA (e.g. Thumbnail, Service File, Preservation Master) selects only linked Media that were tagged with the respective taxonomy term in their "Media Use"  field. As a shortcut, you can see the Media Use on the listing of media on the media tab of a node. So if the Media you created is tagged "Service file" and the "EVA: Media EVAs - Service File" is set to show up on the Default display profile and you're using the default display profile... then you should see your media.

Pietro

Jul 19, 2022, 11:32:39 AM7/19/22
to islandora
Hi Rosie,
yours are the right questions:
  • I crated the new node as "Add content "- "Repository item", specifying "Image" as "Model", saving the node.
  • Then I edit the node using the node "Media" tab to "Add media item" using "Image" for local images.
  • I selected the file in my local disk and uploaded to the server: in this phase I get the message "Unable to connect to JMS Broker, items might not be synchronized to external services.", but I have no external application to synchronize.
Despite I created the media from the node's media tab, the  "Media Use" and "Media Of" fields are missing in the [site]/media/[#]/edit page, compared to a similar page of the sandbox, as you can see in the following screenshots.

tmp.jpg

tmp.jpeg
As you can see, in my form the tabs "View" and "Manage display" are missing.
As for the "EVA: Media EVAs" fields, "Thumbnail" and "Original File - Download" are disabled: switching to "Content" doesn't change the situation.

So now the question is: how to tag my images for "Media Use" and "Media Of"?

Thanks for your patience and support,
Pietro

Rosie Le Faive

Jul 19, 2022, 12:06:39 PM7/19/22
to islandora
Islandora defaults is a "Feature" - it installs configuration, but only when you import it as a feature (which is not the same as enabling the module). You can do this with Drush, `drush fim -y islandora_defaults`.

Pietro

Jul 20, 2022, 7:11:46 AM7/20/22
to islandora
Hi Rosie,
now it works and I managed to build a view of a small collection of objects:

tmp.jpg

This is the entry level I usually try to reach when I start learning some new technology. In this regard, "Islandora Defaults" seems too rich for a beginner and it might be useful to release a starter kit for Drupal users to ease the access: if you need a beta tester, I'm ready to help

Thanks, Pietro

Rosie Le Faive

Jul 20, 2022, 8:52:42 AM7/20/22
to islandora
Hi Pietro,

I completely understand. That's why we recommend new users try our deployment mechanisms (the Playbook, ISLE, etc.). They install and configure Islandora Defaults for you.

But thank you for your feedback, it's completely accurate. I'll update our documentation on the Islandora Defaults module accordingly.