Looking of new maintainer for the Persistent Identifiers module

Mark Jordan

Mar 1, 2023, 3:48:24 PM3/1/23
to islandora

Hi everyone,

Early in Islandora 8 days (as it was called then) I started https://github.com/mjordan/persistent_identifiers, and a number of community members contributed to the module, for which I am very grateful. However, I need to be honest with myself and the community and admit that it is best if I ask for someone else to take over stewardship of this module. The reality is that the vast majority of my available development and support capacity is now spent on Islandora Workbench and I don't see that changing for the foreseeable future. DGI has an alternative solution to managing persistent identifiers in Islandora 2, and I suspect that other Islandora 2 implementors have additional solutions. This may be a case where we are seeing an embarrassment of riches and if the utility of the Persistent Identifiers module has been eclipsed by other modules, I am willing to admit that as well.

I would be happy to use this opportunity to test the new LSAP process, or, if someone else steps forward to take on ownership of this module, to transfer it to them and let them decide its fate.

If you are interested in taking over stewardship of https://github.com/mjordan/persistent_identifiers, let me know privately or in this public tread. Or, if the community feels that there is sufficient interest to warrant an LSAP to transfer the module to the Islandora Foundation, please express that interest here so we can move forward in an informed, open way.

Mark

Mark Jordan
Associate Dean of Libraries, Digital Strategy
W.A.C. Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, British Columbia, V5A 1S6, Canada
Voice: 778.782.5753 / Fax: 778.782.3023
mjo...@sfu.ca

I respectfully acknowledge the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), Səl̓ílwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), q̓íc̓əy̓ (Katzie), and kʷikʷəƛ̓əm (Kwikwetlem) Nations and peoples on whose ancestral and unceded lands the three SFU campuses are located. As a settler on these lands, I am grateful and humbled to live, work, and learn on them.

Seth Shaw

Mar 1, 2023, 4:07:37 PM3/1/23
to islandora
I don't believe we (ASU Libraries) can commit to taking over maintenance in the long term. However, we run a local fork of this module in production and so, if no one else takes up the mantel, will need to perform minimal local maintenance on our fork until we are able to build a migration path away from it.

Seth Shaw
Digital Library Software Developer
Arizona State University Libraries