Fedora Newsletter: July 2022

Arran Griffith

Jul 19, 2022, 11:02:22 AM7/19/22
to Fedora Community, Fedora Leaders, Fedora Steering, 'Arran Griffith' via Fedora Tech, DC Fedora Users, 'Arran Griffith' via South Central States Fedora Users, 'Arran Griffith' via German (speaking) Fedora Users, samvera-...@googlegroups.com, isla...@googlegroups.com

We hope that you all enjoyed your July long weekends, whether it was for July 4th in the US or Canada Day north of the border, we hope that the weather was nice, the BBQ’s were hot and drinks were cold. As we move officially in to summer, we wanted to keep you updated on some of the things we have going on in the coming weeks. Read on to find out more.

NEWS

You're Invited! Fedora Summer Open Houses

We are officially inviting you to join us at one of our 2 upcoming Fedora Open Houses being held this month. These open houses are meant to be an opportunity to share use cases, ask questions and come together to learn about what we’ve been working on. In the interest of accommodating different time zones, we opted to host two separate events – one catering to North America and one for those in the EU/UK. We hope you can join us for one (or both!) of the following sessions:

Tuesday, July 26th from 12pm - 1pm Eastern - https://bit.ly/3PkEJ0Y

Wednesday, July 27th from 10am – 11am Eastern - https://bit.ly/3c2iiiQ

The Open House events are FREE to attend, so bring your colleagues and friends to listen in on the conversation. The more the merrier! Check out all that is going on in our new Community Calendar!

IMLS Grant Migration Toolkit

At the end of June, the first draft of the Migration Toolkit was released to the community for feedback and comments. This toolkit is a result of the IMLS Funded Grant Project – Fedora Migration Paths & Tools: A Pilot Project. Pilot Partners at the University of Virginia and Whitman College collaboratively created the content for the toolkit to provide resources for migrating from Fedora 3 to the newest, most supported version of the software, Fedora 6. It contains instructions for the migration process, templates, metadata remediation best practices and user stories collected throughout the course of the grant. You can also find links to the migration utilities and validation tooling created as a result of the work.

You can see the Draft Toolkit here.

We are asking the community to review the contents, instructions and templates contained within the Toolkit and provide feedback and comments. All comments should be entered before July 29, 2022 at which point the Pilot Partners and Fedora team will review and finalize the document for community-wide distribution and use. We look forward to hearing your feedback!

Technology Update

In June, the committer and tech team delivered Fedora 6.2.0, which contained some non-critical bug fixes, improvements to the HMLT UI and a new Statistics API. This Statistics API, a feature of which was requested by community users, will allow you to gather information quickly and easily about the contents of your repository at a given point in time.

Additionally, the team has continued to work on optimizing performance and resolving bugs. They have focused on updating dependencies and have spent time adding features to both the migration and validation tools. Both tools now support “resume” functionality so that you can restart a migration or validation from where the process previously stopped. You can also now opt for a “head” only (ie. The most recent) migration if you don’t need to return your entire Fedora 3 version history.

The team continues to meet every Thursday at 11am Eastern if you would like to join us for our weekly Tech Call. This call is open for anyone to join, even if just to listen in on the conversation. All are welcome!

You can find the zoom link in our community calendar

Where to Find Us

August – IslandoraCon, Charlottetown, PEI Canada

·     Presentation: IMLS Grant – Fedora Migration Paths and Tools: A Pilot Project

September – iPres 2022, Glasgow, Scotlanld

·     Workshop: Welcome to Fedora 6.0: Features, Migration Support & Integrations for Community Use Cases

OctoberDLF and affiliated events, Baltimore, MD

·     Learn@DLF Workshop: Welcome to Fedora 6.0: Features, Migration Support & Integrations for Community Use Cases

·     DLF Forum: Fedora 6.0: Feature Highlight & Community Update

·     DigiPres: Fedora 6.0: Features and the OCFL

·     Access 2022, Ottawa, Canada

·     Presentation: IMLS Grant Update - Fedora Migration Paths & Tools: A Pilot Project

See a conference you want to attend and have a collaborative idea you’d like to work with the Fedora team on? Email us at arran.g...@lyrasis.org. We would love to work together on join presentations to help bring Fedora to more users.

What's Happening in Our Partner Communities

Samvera

·     Call for Proposals for Samvera Connect is open until Aug. 8, 2022

·     Submit your panel or presentation proposal here: https://forms.gle/yjb9Rh4XmV1fQozM6

·     Register to attend Samvera Connect here:

·     Changes in the Hyrax Community

·     Daniel Pierce, Indiana University Libraries, was welcomed as the new Tech Lead for the Hyrax repository engine.

·     Rebekah Kati, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, announced as the new Hyrax Product Owner

Islandora

·     IslandoraCon will be held August 2-5,2022 at UPEI in Charlottetown, PEI.

·     Registration is now open for IslandoraCon - https://2022.islandora.ca/

·     Join the Code of Conduct Committee!

·     In advance of IslandoraCon, the community is seeking volunteers for a Code of Conduct Committee lead by Amy Blau and Drew Heles.

·     Sign up to volunteer here

·     Islandora Annual General Meeting is taking place August 4, 2022 from 2pm-4pm Eastern

·     Register here: https://t.co/VxTmXD1NRz

OCFL

·     Editorial Board released guidelines for maintaining and operating OCLF Projects

·     Find all the details here: https://bit.ly/3O9kItk

·     OCFL 1.1 Spec is nearly ready for release

·     Most recent community meeting minutes can be found here

·     Next meeting to take place Wed. Aug 11 8pm EDT/5pm PDT I Thurs. Aug 12 10am AEST/1am GMT

MEMBERSHIP - Your Support is Valuable!

Fedora is an open-source, community-supported program funded entirely by membership contributions. This funding supports staff to work on developing, teaching, engaging and supporting Fedora users across the globe. Without our members, we would not be able to support the preservation of the vital content contained within the repositories of our users. Find out how you can help. Learn more and become a member today!

Fedora Registry

Part of our mission with Fedora 6.0 is to better understand our user install base. As a result, we are reaching out to the community now to help with these efforts. Is your institution in our registry? If so, are all the details up to date? Check out the current Fedora Registry here: https://duraspace.org/fedora/community/fedora-users/

Need an update or need to add your instance? Use this link: https://duraspace.org/registry/register-your-site/

By understanding our install base and what versions of Fedora are being used, we will be better prepared to provide the support necessary for our entire community.

GET INVOLVED

Fedora is designed, built, used, and supported by the community. Join the conversation on our Fedora Slack channel or sign up for our Fedora community mailing list to stay in the loop. You can find more details here.

LYRASIS | 1438 West Peachtree Street, NW, Suite 150, Atlanta, GA 30309

Sent by membercomm...@lyrasis.org powered by

Trusted Email from Constant Contact - Try it FREE today.