LibOps: Managed Microservices

Joe Corall

May 19, 2024, 8:45:32 AMMay 19
to islandora
Hello,

I wanted to share a recent service LibOps built that other institutions running production Islandora instances could leverage to help improve your repository's performance.

As we're all aware, Islandora has a set of microservices it ships with to perform actions on files uploaded to the given repository. The community-supported ISLE deployment is already architected to allow these services to run on a different machine than your other Islandora server components.

LibOps created a Google Cloud Run deployment in multiple regions in the U.S., Canada, and Australia. So your local Islandora install could use these managed microservices and Google should route requests to the closest regional deployment for your Islandora install. This would allow you to free up server resources for those microservice components, and reallocate those to other ISLE services.

Install instructions are on https://github.com/LibOps/islandora-microservices

Right now the service is free and open to anyone who wants to try it. In the future there may be an authentication mechanism you need to put in place to use this service. This service was built over the last few days, so we're still working out a cost model. Ideally, the cost would be based on usage. Though a flat fee is also being considered. To give a ballpark: for normal repository operations, I can see this service costing on average around $10 per month for smaller repositories, and $30 per month for larger repositories. Though is usage-based, some months could see higher costs during something like a large migration. Please reach out directly to me and I could give you a more exact quote.

Best,
Joe Corall
j...@libops.io
https://www.libops.io/