Are Crayfish microservices mandatory for a working Islandora 8 installation?

Mantas Šimkūnas

Aug 29, 2021, 7:29:03 AM8/29/21
to islandora
Hello,

We are currently evaluating Islandora 8 and the feasibility of migrating our Islandora 7.x instance. I've looked through the documentation and have a question regarding the Crayfish microservices.

We have a process in place to generate all of our derivatives externally and we only use our Islandora + Fedora stack to store those derivatives. Is it possible to exclude the Crayfish components from an Islandora 8 installation without breaking it?

I also have a question regarding Alpaca. Is it necessary only when using the Crayfish microservices? Can it be safely omitted if one chooses to leave out Crayfish out of the picture?

A minimal installation of Drupal, Fedora, Solr, Blazegraph and Cantaloupe seems much more manageable in our use case. We have already figured out our derivative generation process and don't need the extra complexity of Crayfish components.

I'm also aware that Islandora 8 can be run with Docker but unless there is a way to selectively remove the Crayfish components this just adds more complexity to our technology stack and I would be interested to know whether it can be reduced by removing the unnecessary components.

Seth Shaw

Aug 30, 2021, 10:50:36 AM8/30/21
to 'Donnie Hardin' via islandora
Islandora can be run without the Crayfish microservices. Granted, the default deployments the community has set up include them, so you would want to tailor your deployment. I'm not well versed in ISLE, but I imagine removing the crayfish container is a matter of proper configuration. As for Alpaca, you will still need that for the Fedora and Triplestore indexing to work.

--
For more information about using this group, please read our Listserv Guidelines: http://islandora.ca/content/welcome-islandora-listserv
---