Brief survey to determine development priorities for Islandora Workbench

Mark Jordan

Jul 28, 2021, 5:38:54 PM7/28/21
to isla...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask users of Islandora Workbench to help determine the priority of developing some relatively large/complex features that have been requested. Specifically, I'm looking for some guidance on the order in which I should be working on these features, using your ranking of them from "Very important" to "I don't care about this feature."

The survey (an anonymous Google Form) is at https://forms.gle/sUCiW1YyzrUQX3ZD7 . I'll keep the survey open until August 11.

Thank you for your input!

Mark

Mark Jordan

Aug 14, 2021, 6:52:19 PM8/14/21
to isla...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

Thanks to the 15 of you who voted on the Islandora Workbench priorities. The results, in descending order of weighted "Very important" and "Important" votes, are:

  • ability to create taxonomy terms with fields (35 points)
  • ability to create hierarchical taxonomy terms (32 points)
    • Note: from a development and testing point of view, it makes sense to complete these first two features together
  • ability to add/update remote video and audio (31 points)
  • ability to add/update multilingual field data (27 points)
  • ability to add/update a non-base Drupal title field (25 points)
  • allow --check to report more than one error at a time (22 points)
  • a desktop spreadsheet editor (21 points)
  • ability to add/update Paragraph fields (20 points)
  • support the TUS resumable upload protocol (15 points)

I assigned points to each question by giving the number of "Very important" votes a 3x weight and the number of "Important" votes a 2x weight, and then adding the two resulting values.

As I said below, the purpose of this survey was to determine how important feature requested in the Islandora Workbench Github issue queue are to users, and from that, to provide clarity around what order I intend to spend time implementing them. However, I won't be the only person working on these features - I'll be reaching out to individuals to help test new features to ensure that they meet expectations and are indeed useful.

I will be publishing a "Roadmap (Fall 2021)" page on the Workbench documentation site based on this ordering.

Thank you for your input into this process!

Mark