Propose Archiving Islandora Vagrant

Don Richards

Nov 22, 2023, 1:59:57 PM11/22/23
to islandora

I am writing to propose the archiving of two GitHub repositories related to the Islandora Vagrant and Vagrant Base Box projects.

Background: The Islandora Vagrant and Vagrant Base Box repositories have been valuable resources for the Islandora community for some time. They have facilitated the setup and configuration of Islandora environments, making it easier for developers and users to get started with the platform. However, over the years, these repositories have become outdated and are no longer actively maintained.

Proposal: I propose that we archive the following GitHub repositories:

  1. https://github.com/Islandora-Labs/islandora_vagrant_base_box
    https://github.com/Islandora-Labs/islandora_vagrant

Rationale:

Lack of Maintenance: These repositories have not received updates or contributions for an extended period, leaving them vulnerable to compatibility issues and security concerns.
Obsolete Technologies: The technologies and configurations used in these repositories may no longer align with current best practices and the evolving needs of the Islandora community.
Confusion: The presence of outdated repositories can lead to confusion among users and developers who may attempt to use them without realizing their deprecated status.

Benefits: Archiving these repositories will:

Clarify Status: It will clearly communicate to users and developers that these projects are no longer actively maintained.
Reduce Risk: It will reduce the risk associated with using outdated configurations and technologies.

Next Steps: If this proposal is approved, the following steps will be taken:

  1. We will officially archive the repositories on GitHub, making them read-only and no longer accepting new issues, pull requests, or contributions.

  2. A notice will be added to the repository README files informing users of the archival status and suggesting alternative solutions or resources.

Conclusion: The Islandora community has evolved over time, and it is crucial to focus our efforts on maintaining and enhancing the actively used components of the platform. Archiving the Islandora Vagrant and Vagrant Base Box repositories is a responsible step toward decluttering our GitHub presence and providing clear guidance to our community members.

I kindly request your feedback and approval for this proposal. Your insights and recommendations are highly valuable in making this decision. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or concerns or comment here.

Rosie Le Faive

Nov 24, 2023, 10:35:18 AM11/24/23
to islandora
I fully support deprecating these repositories.

Noah Smith

Nov 27, 2023, 8:49:08 AM11/27/23
to islandora
Same here. ~Noah