July 26 Open Meeting: Active Bystander and Code of Conduct Discussion

comm...@islandora.ca

Jul 19, 2022, 1:03:33 PM7/19/22
to islandora
Hello, Islandora!

Because of its proximity to IslandoraCon 2022, we are not scheduling the usual demos and Q&A sessions for the July 26 Open Meeting. We anticipate that presentations and projects that are introduced at IslandoraCon will inspire many future Open Meeting topics, so please stay tuned for those in the coming months.

Instead, within the usual Open Meeting time slot on July 26 at 11 am EDT, ICC members will present a brief overview of principles of Active Bystander responses and an orientation to the Code of Conduct at IslandoraCon, together with a discussion about applying these principles to make IslandoraCon a safe and welcoming environment for everyone. Register here for a Zoom and calendar invite.

We also encourage all IslandoraCon attendees to familiarize themselves with the Code of Conduct before IslandoraCon, and to review Active Bystander Orientation materials created and gathered by DLF in 2019.

In our Code of Conduct, we provide for community input on Code of Conduct Committee members. (The specific wording is “In order to ensure that this committee has the trust of the community, the ICC will present the proposed membership to the community and there will be a commenting period before they are seated.”) We’re very pleased to share the proposed membership of the Code of Conduct Committee and additional IslandoraCon 2022 volunteers. If you have any comments or concerns about the makeup of these volunteer groups, please contact Isabella Nikolaidis (email, Slack, Google form) by July 26.

As members of the Code of Conduct Committee and IslandoraCon volunteers:

Amy Blau  (Whitman College)
Julia Corrin (Carnegie Mellon University)
Angelina Crowe (Carnegie Mellon University)
Drew Heles (LYRASIS)
Michelle Janowiecki (Johns Hopkins University)
Rosie Le Faive (University of Prince Edward Island)
Elizabeth Padilla (British Columbia Institute of Technology)
Don Richards (Johns Hopkins University)

As IslandoraCon volunteers:

Katie Gucer (Johns Hopkins University)
Paige Morfitt (Whitman College)