isl.gforge.inria.fr site has been down for days

Simon Mijolovic

Oct 4, 2021, 10:58:38 AM10/4/21
to isl Development
obtaining source code for recent versions of the ISL have not been available for some time now.  An unstable' source site is particularly concerning as a dependency to building the GCC compiler from source.

Anyone know what is going on there?

Mikael Öhman

Oct 4, 2021, 11:45:25 AM10/4/21
to isl Development
It's not unreliable, it has in fact shut down (https://giters.com/coq/opam-coq-archive/issues/1298?amp=1), replaced with gitlab.inria.fr.
I went here looking where the project moved, but it seems it hasn't been migrated anywhere yet?

Sven Verdoolaege

Oct 4, 2021, 11:59:35 AM10/4/21
to Mikael Öhman, isl Development
On Mon, Oct 04, 2021 at 08:45:25AM -0700, Mikael Öhman wrote:
> It's not unreliable, it has in fact shut down
> (https://giters.com/coq/opam-coq-archive/issues/1298?amp=1), replaced with
> gitlab.inria.fr.
> I went here looking where the project moved, but it seems it hasn't been
> migrated anywhere yet?

I heard they were going to do that at some point, but it wasn't clear
when exactly they would do it.
I think I did look at gitlab some time ago, but it didn't look
very convenient to use.
I'm also not sure I can still create a project there.

I'll have another look later this week.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.
For me it would be easiest if I can just scp the tar balls somewhere.

skimo

Simon Mijolovic

Oct 4, 2021, 1:59:42 PM10/4/21
to isl Development
sourceforge maybe?

In the meantime, would it be possible for me to get a copy of the latest tarball at simon.m...@gmail.com so that I may build gcc from source using the latest isl version?

Thank you in advance.

Sven Verdoolaege

Oct 4, 2021, 4:22:03 PM10/4/21
to Simon Mijolovic, isl Development
On Mon, Oct 04, 2021 at 10:59:42AM -0700, Simon Mijolovic wrote:
> In the meantime, would it be possible for me to get a copy of the latest
> tarball at simon.m...@gmail.com so that I may build gcc from source
> using the latest isl version?

There's plenty of mirrors of that, e.g.,
https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-current/source/l/isl/isl-0.24.tar.xz.mirrorlist

skimo

Sven Verdoolaege

Oct 6, 2021, 5:08:05 PM10/6/21
to Simon Mijolovic, isl Development
On Mon, Oct 04, 2021 at 10:59:42AM -0700, Simon Mijolovic wrote:
> sourceforge maybe?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/libisl/files/

skimo

Simon Mijolovic

Oct 6, 2021, 7:23:37 PM10/6/21
to isl Development
Fantastic!  Glad to see the quick turnaround...well done.

Michael Kruse

Oct 6, 2021, 8:29:05 PM10/6/21
to Sven Verdoolaege, Simon Mijolovic, isl Development
Am Mi., 6. Okt. 2021 um 16:08 Uhr schrieb Sven Verdoolaege
<sven.verdo...@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Oct 04, 2021 at 10:59:42AM -0700, Simon Mijolovic wrote:
> > sourceforge maybe?
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/libisl/files/

Are you also going to move the git repository there?

Instead of rendering the html files, sourceforge is only offering them
for download. If you are only looking for a way to host a static
website, I could offer a subdomain of my personal webserver (e.g.
isl.meinersbur.de) incl scp access.

Michael

--
Tardyzentrismus verboten!

Sven Verdoolaege

Oct 7, 2021, 1:43:25 AM10/7/21
to re...@meinersbur.de, Simon Mijolovic, isl Development
On Wed, Oct 06, 2021 at 07:28:24PM -0500, Michael Kruse wrote:
> Instead of rendering the html files, sourceforge is only offering them
> for download. If you are only looking for a way to host a static
> website, I could offer a subdomain of my personal webserver (e.g.
> isl.meinersbur.de) incl scp access.

It should be possible to that on sourceforge too.
I just need to figure out how.

skimo

Andrey Elenskiy

Oct 8, 2021, 3:49:39 PM10/8/21
to isl Development
Came by this thread while trying to resolve an issue with homebrew not being able to reach isl.gforge.inria.fr to build GCC.
I've sent a PR to Homebrew over here: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/86896
However, please feel free to send your own PR pointing to appropriate places for homepage/livecheck/tarball url once you've setup a static website.

Sven Verdoolaege

Oct 8, 2021, 4:37:57 PM10/8/21
to Andrey Elenskiy, isl Development
On Fri, Oct 08, 2021 at 12:49:39PM -0700, Andrey Elenskiy wrote:
> Came by this thread while trying to resolve an issue with homebrew not
> being able to reach isl.gforge.inria.fr to build GCC.
> I've sent a PR to Homebrew over here:
> https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/86896
> However, please feel free to send your own PR pointing to appropriate
> places for homepage/livecheck/tarball url once you've setup a static
> website.

I have a temporary clone up and running: https://libisl.sourceforge.io/
I'm not sure yet if I'll put new releases there or in the files section.
Maybe I'll put them in both locations.

skimo

Andrey Elenskiy

Oct 8, 2021, 4:43:24 PM10/8/21
to isl Development
Interesting, one of the Homebrew maintainers actually already pointed https://libisl.sourceforge.io/, I’ve modified the PR to use it instead. I guess it’s still a moving target of where to download files from, I'll leave it till it's decided.

Sven Verdoolaege

Oct 8, 2021, 4:46:21 PM10/8/21
On Fri, Oct 08, 2021 at 01:43:23PM -0700, Andrey Elenskiy wrote:
> Interesting, one of the Homebrew maintainers actually already pointed
> https://libisl.sourceforge.io/, I’ve modified the PR to use it instead. I
> guess it’s still a moving target of where to download files from, I'll
> leave it till it's decided.

Is either of them in any way more convenient to use for you than the other?

skimo

Andrey Elenskiy

Oct 8, 2021, 4:59:04 PM10/8/21
to isl Development
> Is either of them in any way more convenient to use for you than the other?

Not to my knowledge, but a Homebrew maintainer would probably know better here. My 2c is that it should be consistent over versions and not ever change for binaries that already been published :)

Simon Mijolovic

Oct 9, 2021, 5:24:28 PM10/9/21
to isl Development
For consistency I would recommend both locations until there is a permanent solution for where the source will be maintained.

I also highly recommend not to put on any personal webservers, as that is a significant risk for supply chain integrity. I'm still quite concerned about this since checkins and contributions to the source are not visible (such as they would be on github supplying non-repudiation on code changes, PRs, and approval chains). For now, assuming the team is using an internal mechanism for source code control, publishing sha256 checksums for some level of integrity checking of the published tarballs are recommended as a minimal requirement.

I can not stress enough how the integrity of any dependency in the build chain of the GCC compiler is critical to the entire supply chain of any binary or library produced by it, and why all sorts of red flags are going off as a security professional with decades of experience in software subversion techniques.