pNFS and OneFS

Mariano Dizeo

Feb 3, 2014, 10:46:22 AM2/3/14
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys, I new to the group and I'm looking information about pNFS over oneFS 7.02 to use with our Isilon X400 solution.
Any information will be appreciated.

Erik Weiman

Feb 3, 2014, 11:34:22 AM2/3/14
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
Isilon does not support pNFS.

--
Erik Weiman
Sent from my iPhone 4

On Feb 3, 2014, at 9:46 AM, Mariano Dizeo <marian...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi guys, I new to the group and I'm looking information about pNFS over oneFS 7.02 to use with our Isilon X400 solution.
Any information will be appreciated.

Luc Simard

Feb 3, 2014, 12:39:57 PM2/3/14
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
Check with our sales rep, this may be slated for later this year.

Luc Simard - 415-793-0989
Messages may contain confidential information.
Sent from my iPhone

Daniel Cornel

Feb 4, 2014, 8:55:09 AM2/4/14
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
My understanding of utilizing pnfs is that its a two way street.  I am interested in using pNFS to connect vsphere into an Isilon export, however, from my reading of known issues in current release documentation it is not ready for production.  The feature exists on current OneFS configuration but is defaulted to disabled.  The documentation on pNFS capabilities is currently best represented in the known issues section. 7.0.1.
Word on the street is 7.1.0.2 comes out tomorrow...

Jason Davis

Feb 4, 2014, 11:18:11 AM2/4/14
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
Is pNFS even supported in ESX? I was under the impression that VMWare was still leveraging NFSv3 for their datastores.

Jerry Uanino

Feb 4, 2014, 11:24:05 AM2/4/14
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
Is pNFS even supported anywhere? After trying to get to NFSv4 3 times in my life and failing miserably each time, I'm thinking my next move is from nfsv3 to cifs.  Really.... isn't NFS going to be dead before pNFS saves our lives?  I'm curious what problem pNFS even solves for you that nfsv3 wouldn't?

Daniel Cornel

Feb 4, 2014, 11:30:43 AM2/4/14
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
haven't looked in six months, but it wasn't supported then.  That's where my comment for pNFS being a two way street came from.  Your connecting side has to support it as well, and unless its a big thing, itll probably still be a while until its a more adoptable standard. pNFS has been around for years in theory and is only now starting to make headway

Jerry Uanino

Feb 4, 2014, 11:33:17 AM2/4/14
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
"Around for years and starting to make headway". I remember when people used to say that about nfsv4.  No offense, but I'll believe it when I see it!

Daniel Cornel

Feb 4, 2014, 11:37:03 AM2/4/14
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com

That’s my point.  The hardware technology required to take advantage of multiple simultaneous streams low latency and switching, and there are other more lucrative methods (selling accelerators) that make the protocol less necessary.  I too will believe it when I see it.  It is comforting to know that it is being worked on by Isilon and roadmapped by vcenter.  Hopefully that will direct the market some.  If youre pioneering.

Mariano Dizeo

Feb 4, 2014, 1:52:22 PM2/4/14
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
My problem is that I have four NGINX server taking content from a cluster of 16 X400 via NFS and the connection with the isilon some times hang in one server but not on others.
Each servers is using the Smart Connect zone name to mount the NFS share from isilon but the resolution of the dns name is only made at mount time and the connection is made to one IP only on each server.
I want that each server have multiples NFS connection to the differents isilon nodes.
Any idea?

Chris Pepper

Feb 4, 2014, 2:30:18 PM2/4/14
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
Mariano,

You only have one NFS mount on each client? We mount several directories from the same cluster on each client, and they seem to scatter across different IPs via SmartConnect.

Are you hitting an overloaded NFS server, or is it really failing without the IP being immediately migrated to another node?

Chris

Mariano Dizeo

Feb 4, 2014, 3:13:43 PM2/4/14
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I have only one mount on each client. If we made more than one mount in theory we get different IP for each mount, every IP is a different node, we think about going on this way but is not our first choice... the problem is that this option is apparently the only choice.

Cory Snavely

Feb 4, 2014, 3:33:34 PM2/4/14
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com, Mariano Dizeo
I suspect a lot of folks do this; we do as well.

On 02/04/2014 03:13 PM, Mariano Dizeo wrote:
> Yes, I have only one mount on each client. If we made more than one
> mount in theory we get different IP for each mount, every IP is a
> different node, we think about going on this way but is not our first
> choice... the problem is that this option is apparently the only choice.
>
> El martes, 4 de febrero de 2014 16:30:18 UTC-3, Chris Pepper escribió:
>
> Mariano,
>
> You only have one NFS mount on each client? We mount
> several directories from the same cluster on each client, and they
> seem to scatter across different IPs via SmartConnect.
>
> Are you hitting an overloaded NFS server, or is it really
> failing without the IP being immediately migrated to another node?
>
> Chris
>
> On Feb 4, 2014, at 1:52 PM, Mariano Dizeo <marian...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> > My problem is that I have four NGINX server taking content from a
> cluster of 16 X400 via NFS and the connection with the isilon some
> times hang in one server but not on others.
> > Each servers is using the Smart Connect zone name to mount the
> NFS share from isilon but the resolution of the dns name is only
> made at mount time and the connection is made to one IP only on each
> server.
> > I want that each server have multiples NFS connection to the
> differents isilon nodes.
> > Any idea?

Jerry Uanino

Feb 4, 2014, 3:46:52 PM2/4/14
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com, Mariano Dizeo
We ended up doing this with a particular home directory type setup where we have /home/user/a /home/user/b then under there all users beginning with a, then b, etc.
This gives you maximum "opportunity" to load balance by mounts.

Daniel Pritts

Apr 10, 2014, 4:28:53 PM4/10/14
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
I'm late to the party on this (I think my mail filter ate the list mail), but FWIW...

VMware had a BoF at the LISA conference and one of the things they wanted asked was who was looking for pNFS support.  Presumably meaning no support yet but they're working on it.