Trouble with ICAP AV scanning using McAfee VirusScan Enterprise for Storage

Pedro Pagan

Nov 18, 2015, 11:24:18 AM11/18/15
to Isilon Technical User Group
Hello all,

Does anyone have experience getting on-close ICAP AV scanning to work using "McAfee VirusScan Enterprise for Storage"? We're having trouble with TCP buffer overruns on our scan servers and the Isilon handles it poorly (it produces IO errors for our end users).

We did packet captures while running a constant low-throughput test scan. Even at <1MB/s to a dedicated 2.3GhZ quad-core, 6G RAM, 10G link scan server, TCP Zerowindow errors. MTUs match and I've tried increasing the Rx buffers to no avail. The server stats show that its resources are barely being touched while scanning. This happens on both hardware and VM environments running Windows Server 2012. The Isilons used in testing were running 7.1.1.2 and 7.1.1.4.

Is there a way to get the Isilon to throttle its scans as the Rx buffer fills? Any idea on why the scan server's Rx buffer is filling in the first place?

Thanks,

PJ

Peter Serocka

Nov 18, 2015, 11:27:33 PM11/18/15
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
You have probably seen this document for Isilon AVscan sizing
considerations:

There is also an older KB article (KB88861, ICAP and AVScan performance and server considerations)
which explicitly mentions some kinde of load throttling on the Isilon side:

<avscand-worker-count><value></avscand-worker-count>Sets the amount of threads per node that can be sent to the ICAP server.20
to be set in the file  /etc/mcp/override/avscan.xml

I just checked and found this file still exists in OneFS 7.2,
but better check with EMC whether the advise from
the KB article is still valid. I'd be in good hope for this.

Cheers

-- Peter

Pedro Pagan

Nov 23, 2015, 10:26:01 AM11/23/15
to Isilon Technical User Group
Hey Peter,

Thanks for the links, but that's one of the earliest things I've tried. No success with it though. The way I set up my most recent test is to force a single node to send only 1MB/s of data. If the scans consistently succeed with such a small amount a data I can't image a full scale scan succeeding even with worker thread tweaks...