Check mail sending ?

Pierluigi Frullani

Mar 4, 2024, 5:26:14 AMMar 4
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
  I'm playing with a powerscale 9.5.0.6 and I'm trying to setup some mail notifications.
Ive configured the email settings in general and the channel on event and alerts, but when I try to send a test event I get the ui that say "teset event sent successfully" but nothing goes out from the nodes.
It look like the sendmail ( or whatever it is ) is not running or hanged.
The /var/log/mailllog is empty and a tcpdump on all nodes shows no communications are happening.
What other can I check ?
Thanks in advance.

Pierluigi

Michael Ebert

Mar 4, 2024, 7:16:05 AMMar 4
to Isilon Technical User Group
I would check to see if there is a firewall or router dropping the packets or if your mail relay has an allow list for relaying mail.

Michael Ebert

Mar 4, 2024, 9:19:26 AMMar 4
to Isilon Technical User Group
Have you also tried telneting to your mail relay's IP/Port from the nodes?

pierluigi...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2024, 11:52:09 AMMar 4
to Isilon Technical User Group
Hello and thx for your time.
I have tried a telnet to mailserver, port 25 and works, and also tried to "send" a mail via telnet ( on port 25 ).
This is the transcript :

telnet mx.server 25
Trying mx.server...
Connected to mx.server
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mx.server ESMTP
helo isi-1
250 mx.server
mail from: test@isi-1
250 ok
rcpt to: ad...@mx.server
250 ok
data
354 go ahead
test-mail
.
250 ok 1709570878 qp 5927
quit
221 mx.server

and ad...@mx.server have received the mail.

It seems that on powerscale the sendmail ( or whatever is colled on ISILON ) is not running.

On isilon 7.X  there where a bunch of service cee- something that where responsible of all log and mail send ( and snmp trap  for that matters ).
Now I cannot find a way to restart those services.

Jerry

Mar 4, 2024, 1:04:48 PMMar 4
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
try sendmail -bt us...@wherever.com
Include output.

Also, not sure if they are even using sendmail or something else but find the /var/spool/mqueue dir or wherever sendmail is spooling to and see if the queue is stuck.
Maybe mailq will work, or maybe just ls in the spool dir.

Pierluigi Frullani

Mar 5, 2024, 6:38:33 AMMar 5
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
There is no sendmail binary on OneFS 9.x ( at least not on 9.1+ ).
isi-1-1# find / -name sendmail\*
/usr/lib/debug/usr/libexec/sendmail
/usr/share/sendmail
/usr/libexec/sendmail
isi-1-1# file /usr/lib/debug/usr/libexec/sendmail
/usr/lib/debug/usr/libexec/sendmail: directory
isi-1-1#
isi-1-1# file /usr/share/sendmail
/usr/share/sendmail: directory
isi-1-1# file /usr/libexec/sendmail
/usr/libexec/sendmail: directory

Thx
Pierluigi

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Isilon Technical User Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/isilon-user-group/CA%2BQY4mnqiaEjoc5w%3D%3D%3D%3DKQKfoH%2BYwd5pHJpBPMRH8HZYGe15_w%40mail.gmail.com.

Jerry

Mar 5, 2024, 9:39:09 AMMar 5
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
Hm.
We'd have to dig around and see what mailer they are using.

John Beranek - PA

Mar 6, 2024, 3:35:28 PMMar 6
to Isilon Technical User Group
Email sending works as expected here, not much evidence in the emails how it sends them....

Subject: =?utf-8?q?_Isilon_storage_=22hard=22_quota_exceeded?=
To: isilon-quota-...@example.com
From: itinfras...@example.com
Date: Wed,  6 Mar 2024 13:55:14 +0000 (UTC)

John

Jerry

Mar 6, 2024, 3:54:41 PMMar 6
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
They are freeBSD based, so I presume "dragonfly" but I've got no experience with this. Seems like a rabbit hole.

Mail Transfer Agent (MTA)

The Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) is responsible for receiving incoming mail and delivering outgoing mail. Starting with FreeBSD version 14.0, the default MTA is DragonFly Mail Agent (dma(8)); in earlier versions, it is sendmail(8). Other MTAs, including Exim, Postfix, and qmail, may be installed to replace the default MTA.

Erik Weiman

Mar 6, 2024, 11:59:51 PMMar 6
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
I’m pretty sure that all mail sent from a powerscale cluster is using python libraries that are part of the “celog” alerting system.  I don’t recall it using FreeBSD native mail binaries to send mail.

There’s some logging per node from celog for mail being sent along with a path in ifsvar that has alert attachments and history of sent alerts via smtp.

--
Erik Weiman
Sent from my iPhone

Pierluigi Frullani

Mar 7, 2024, 3:57:29 AMMar 7
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com

Yes, also I think it goes from a python, still need to find which service is responsible.
Thx

Pierluigi