a retired legend

Steve Maggioncalda

Jun 23, 2023, 12:10:04 PM6/23/23
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
hey team,
fired up our 9000i cluster in 2010.
shut it down this week. shop closed. :(
what an amazing ride it’s been with that cluster.
did what it was designed to do.
thanks to this group for all for your support over the years.
saker: thx a ton. we’ll chat.
cheers,
steve

Saker Klippsten

Jun 24, 2023, 4:34:44 PM6/24/23
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
Isilons are workhorses!
I just retired a 25 node S200 cluster we had been running since 2010 as well earlier this year!
I have another 40 node S200 cluster still running we use for houdini render caching and using the retired node cluster as parts for this one.
In total we had 27 drive failures, 7 boot drives, 6 ssd cache drive failures and  3 chelsio cards went bad. Most of the issues were from numerous power glitches/outages and A/C cooling issues but the fact
we never lost data is amazing. Folks in the M&E industry, especially medium/ small shops, know we like to squeeze the lemon and get max return on our investments.

I'm Sorry to hear about your shop closing. We are getting hit pretty hard with this writer's strike. Hope it gets resolved soon.

Talk Soon!
Best
-S