Error Enumerating on a directory I own via SMB (CLI OK)

Sid Young

Jun 22, 2023, 7:20:53 PM6/22/23
to Isilon Technical User Group
Hi all,

I have a strange issue where I am a member of a group that has full control of a directory:

/ifs/FS01/Projects/Group_Projects

The Group_Projects has inheritance disabled two groups:
 - Project_Admins AD group (which has dir_gen_all, object_inherit,container_inherit (Folder owner is root:wheel)
 - Project_Members AD Group (dir_gen_read, dir_gen_execute) No inheritance... so member can see the directories and only access ones that they are a member of.

I create a folder in Group_Projects with no issues (Project_1234) and it now has permissions :
 - Project_Admins
 - syoung

I want to add another user, but when I try to apply the user and the set permissions I get and SMB error "Error enumerating Objects"

I am puzzled as to why my "syoung" basic AD account cannot apply permissions even when it owns the folder and is in the group that owns the parent folder.

Thanks in advance

Sid

Ebert, Michael

Jun 23, 2023, 7:23:35 AM6/23/23
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
I find that permissions work flawlessly when they are all from a single auth source.  If you use the Microsoft MMC to set the owner, NTFS and share to an AD user or group, there are no such issues.  root will still have access in the cli, as it is root, unless specifically denied.

Michael Ebert

Storage Team Supervisor

State of West Virginia

Department of Administration

Office of Technology

1900 Kanawha Blvd East

Building 5, 10th Floor

Charleston, WV  25305

304.352.5283 Voice

No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"Notice of Confidentiality" The information contained in this e-mail message is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of the communication is strictly prohibited.

Sid Young

Jun 23, 2023, 7:40:31 AM6/23/23
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
All auth is from a single Windows AD server,

Sid

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Isilon Technical User Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/isilon-user-group/CAJC%2B8umtZ_3mtoqVKo3pE72qfuSwG2N6_ajOHYSwn-aU3%2BVgfw%40mail.gmail.com.

Ebert, Michael

Sid Young

Jun 23, 2023, 8:40:35 AM6/23/23
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
Correct but the ACL's are Windows AD users/groups. The Isilon is set to merge the ACL and Unix, we have 100 million files most with root:wheel, but we use the Windows ACL's to control it... the UNIX level permission is not the issue, even if I set it to the user/group using chown "AD\user":"AD\group" <dir> I still get the enumeration error.

Sid

Alistair Stewart

Jun 23, 2023, 8:49:50 AM6/23/23
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
The fact that your account is the owner makes no real difference to anything in AD, unlike POSIX permissions. You account still needs permission to access/change/delete the file, even if it "owns" it.

Al…

Ebert, Michael

Sid Young

Jun 24, 2023, 7:24:12 AM6/24/23