Blocking .DS_Store files in OneFS 8

bob...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2016, 11:15:56 AM12/8/16
to Isilon Technical User Group
OneFS 8.x introduced file filtering to allow or deny certain file types.  I just tried using the filter to deny .DS_Store files, but it complained that you can only have alphanumeric characters after the initial period, the underscore being the problem here.  You also cannot use .DS*

Has anyone else tried this?

afowler

Dec 8, 2016, 11:46:36 AM12/8/16
to Isilon Technical User Group
Nope.  This is my experience:

When applied at the Share, filter does not complain about any special characters.  From limiting testing, the following codes (8.0.0.1, 8.0.0.2, 8.0.0.3, 8.0.1.0) all appear to successfully filter .DS_Store files from being created from the Shares where the filter exists.

Notable Share Info:
-No run-as-root permissions set on share
-Domain Users : Full Control share permissions.
-Change Notify: norecurse
-File Filtering Enabled: Yes
-File Filter Extensions: DS_Store

The one caveat is that the filter does NOT work at the top level/root of the share (example: share path = /ifs/isi001/smb/IT ; .DS_Store does get created in IT directory, but filter works at /ifs/isi001/smb/IT/scripts).  So recursively, the filter is working.  Patches do not appear to have any impact on this behavior.

It might also be worth noting I used command line to implement:

isi smb shares modify --share=IT --file-filter-type=allow --file-filter-extensions=.DS_Store --file-filtering-enabled=yes