Apply "Authenticated Users" ACE with chmod on Isilon?

John Beranek - PA

Mar 4, 2016, 10:08:46 AM3/4/16
to Isilon Technical User Group
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to persuade the Isilon chmod command to add an ACE (Access Control Entry) for the "well known" principal "Authenticated User"?

You may ask: Why would you want to do that?

The reason is that we've ended up with a backups directory which has both Windows backup directories in it, and large/deep Linux backup directories.

I want to sort out permissions at the top level, but don't want to do it from Windows, as changes at the top-level will propagate all the way down the tree, into the Linux backups, which mustn't have ACLs on them.

A few things I've tried:

$ chmod +a group "Authenticated Users" traverse,list .
chmod: Authenticated Users: illegal group name: Invalid argument

$ chmod +a group "NT AUTHORITY\\Authenticated Users" traverse,list .
chmod: NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users: illegal group name: Invalid argument

$ chmod +a "Authenticated Users" traverse,list .
chmod: ACE must begin with 'user', 'group', 'everyone', 'creator_owner', or 'creator_group': Invalid argument

Is there some variant that will work?

Cheers,

John

John Beranek - PA

Mar 4, 2016, 10:11:11 AM3/4/16
to Isilon Technical User Group
Apologies, cut and paste the wrong chmod commands which miss the required "allow" parameter, but it doesn't change the result:

$ chmod +a group "Authenticated Users" allow traverse,list .
chmod: Authenticated Users: illegal group name: Invalid argument

$ chmod +a group "NT AUTHORITY\\Authenticated Users" allow traverse,list .
chmod: NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users: illegal group name: Invalid argument

$ chmod +a "Authenticated Users" allow traverse,list .
chmod: ACE must begin with 'user', 'group', 'everyone', 'creator_owner', or 'creator_group': Invalid argument

John

Peter Serocka

Mar 4, 2016, 10:41:57 AM3/4/16
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
John

use well-known SIDs: # chmod +a sid S-1-5-11 allow traverse,list .

OneFS chmod syntax with SIDs:
EMC KB 000424982, https://emcservice.force.com/CustomersPartners/kA2j0000000QuzZCAS

Windows well-known SIDs:
MS KB Q243330, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/243330

hth and hanw

— Peter

John Beranek - PA

Mar 9, 2016, 2:24:08 PM3/9/16
to Isilon Technical User Group
Thank you Peter, works like a charm!

Cheers,

John

John Beranek - PA

Mar 9, 2016, 5:33:20 PM3/9/16
to Isilon Technical User Group
It'd be useful if EMC would put these sort of gems in the actual man page, or the CLI guide. ;)

I guess I/we can hope that it's better in OneFS 8...

John

Peter Serocka

Mar 10, 2016, 6:10:17 AM3/10/16
to isilon-u...@googlegroups.com
Not seeing it in OneFS 8, not even in the OneFS CLI doc (the big pdf).

Hope Isilon guys are still listening...

Glad though it works for you John.

-- Peter

saurabh chaudhary

Jul 3, 2016, 3:03:05 PM7/3/16
to Isilon Technical User Group
Hope this may help, as in my environment I always prefer CLI while granting access:

++++++++++++++++++++++++

dir_gen_all         Read,write and execute access(dir_gen_read,dir_gen_write,dir_gen_execute,delete_child and std_write_owner)

object_inherit Only files in this directory and its descendants inherit the ACE

container_inherit  Only directories in this directory and its descendants inherit the ACE

delete_child The right to delete children, including read-only files

file_gen_all file_gen_read, file_gen_write, file_gen_execute,delete, std_write_dac, and std_write_owner

add_file         The right to create a file in the directory

add_subdir         The right to create a sub-directory

chmod -R +a group "<Domain Name>\<Group Name>" allow dir_gen_all,delete_child,object_inherit,container_inherit,file_gen_all,add_file,add_subdir <file absolute path>

chmod -R +a user "<Domain Name>\<User Name>" allow dir_gen_all,delete_child,object_inherit,container_inherit,file_gen_all,add_file,add_subdir <file absolute path>

Full Control : dir_gen_all,delete_child,object_inherit,container_inherit,file_gen_all,add_file,add_subdir

Read\Execude : dir_gen_read,dir_gen_execute,file_gen_read,file_gen_execute,object_inherit,container_inherit

----- Saurabh ----